E. Webber

Default Question About Selling My Boat In Canada

Hi,

In the spring I wil be privately selling my boat. I live in Canada and have
never done this
before. The boat in loated in Canada.
Does the new buyer pay HST tax on the sale(I'm in New Brunswick)? Boat is 16
years old.
Do I notify Transport Canada about the sale, I have piece of paper to be
filled in by new owner?
Is there anything else I sould be aware of in the process of selling my
boat? I want to have no surprises .
Any help, comments, or suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Thank you.

John H.

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:13:10 -0400, "E. Webber" wrote:

Hi,

In the spring I wil be privately selling my boat. I live in Canada and have
never done this
before. The boat in loated in Canada.
Does the new buyer pay HST tax on the sale(I'm in New Brunswick)? Boat is 16
years old.
Do I notify Transport Canada about the sale, I have piece of paper to be
filled in by new owner?
Is there anything else I sould be aware of in the process of selling my
boat? I want to have no surprises .
Any help, comments, or suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Thank you.

The Canadians may be gone for the day, but there'll be some here tomorrow. They're quite
knowledgeable, so stand by.
--
John Herring

Hope your Christmas is Spectacular!
....and your New Year even Better!
Don White

E. Webber wrote:
Hi,

In the spring I wil be privately selling my boat. I live in Canada and have
never done this
before. The boat in loated in Canada.
Does the new buyer pay HST tax on the sale(I'm in New Brunswick)? Boat is 16
years old.
Do I notify Transport Canada about the sale, I have piece of paper to be
filled in by new owner?
Is there anything else I sould be aware of in the process of selling my
boat? I want to have no surprises .
Any help, comments, or suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Thank you.

Probably depends. I assume your boat has a motor 10hp or bigger, and
has been either registered or licensed.
If so, I would contact your tax people.
I'm sure the new owner will get a tax notice when he transfers the boat
over.
If you have a modest boat with a 9.9 or smaller outboard...
lets just say that most people would treat it like a purchase of a 2nd
hand lawnmower from a buddy.
Any boat trailer would have to be transfered and tax paid at that time.
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/S-9/C.R...html#rid-54014

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM