Default Gallup: Poll Finds Americans' Belief in God Remains Strong

Remember the Dylan song, "With god on our side."

Remember the Dylan song, "You've got to serve somebody?"

John H. wrote:
On 13 Dec 2005 11:25:09 -0800, wrote:

Mule wrote:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1001659292

Gallup: Poll Finds Americans' Belief in God Remains Strong

By E&P Staff

Published: December 13, 2005 12:15 PM ET

NEW YORK A new Gallup survey released today finds that four decades
after the "God Is Dead" controversy was first noted, Americans retain a
strong belief in a higher power. Some 94% think God exists.

Only 5% feel God "does not exist" -- and even most of them "are not
sure" of that. Exactly 1% are certain there is no God.

But how strongly do the believers believe? Nearly 8 in 10, in fact, say
they are "convinced" God exists, although Gallup does not ask them why
that is.

Conservatives are more likely to be convinced than liberals (87% vs.
61%), women a little more likely than men (82% vs. 73%), and residents
of the South more than those in the East (88% vs. 70%).

Surprisingly, some 61% of those who seldom or never attend church are
nevertheless convinced that God exists.

Show me one bit of pure scientific proof that god exists, and I'll
believe it. I'm not good at believing in things not verifiable,
especially when it's purpose is profit. Santa Clause? Tooth Fairy?

I think most of us are just as happy with your current religious beliefs.
--

And you dare call yourself a Christian. What a hypocrite.

JimH wrote:

Wow, so many people fighting over God. Is so........is not.....oh
yeah......yeah....well my God is better than your God.......well my Dad can
beat up your Dad......

Get a life folks.

Wow, the Reverend Jim says not to fight over god, and not argue with
one another.....how hypocritical.
Get a life, Jim.

P Fritz

wrote in message
ups.com...
4.
Dec 13, 1:25 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 13 Dec 2005 11:25:09 -0800

I'm not good at believing in things not verifiable,

Boy, that's the truth!

Kevin isn't good at believing things that are verified.

William Bruce

Harry Krause wrote:
GOP Credo: Just pretend it's all ok.

Harry Krause Credo: Just pretend, period.

Jim Carter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder how many people in the world believe in Christianity's god?

Most of all of the Christians, the Moslems and also the Jews. It's the
same God for all of them. Just different prophets.

Jim C.

John H.

On 13 Dec 2005 13:38:23 -0800, wrote:

John H. wrote:
On 13 Dec 2005 11:25:09 -0800,
wrote:

Mule wrote:
[...]

In what way am I being hypocritical? I am happy you don't call yourself a Christian. Is that
hypocritical?
--
John Herring

Hope your Christmas is Spectacular!
....and your New Year even Better!
Dan J.S.

Show me one bit of pure scientific proof that god exists, and I'll
believe it. I'm not good at believing in things not verifiable,
especially when it's purpose is profit. Santa Clause? Tooth Fairy?

Would you be able to prove to an ant or some insect how DNA sequencing
works?

Same for us. We are not equipped to comprehend how God could exist, we just
need to believe it. Hence the premise of belief.

Dan