Vødkäjéllÿ

Default Mouldy Old Boats and cleaning tip request!

Hello group, I am posting here as you seem to be a busy boat loving bunch of
people...

We have an inflatable boat and it rolls up in a nice bag for storage. We
stored it in the shed with the engine and boards and rudder, and went to
check on it, and it's covered in MOULD! Argh! The rubberised canvas bags
the boat is in is all mottled too (it was only stored in there for just
under a month). I've been washing the whole thing but it doesn't seem to
come off.

Is there a chemical cleaner I should be using to remove the mould and stop
it appearing again?

We will be storing it in the house now, under the stairs in the warm.

Please respond, I'll keep popping back in between washing and drying and
worrying.

--

Helen

Posting from DAMP SOGGY England

phasmatis

Here's How:
1. First, kill the mold by:
2. Brushing the mold and mildew from the material.
3. Wash the affected area with a solution made up of 1/2 cup Lysol to
a gallon of hot water.
4. And/or rinse with a solution of 1 cup of lemon juice and 1 cup of
salt to a gallon of hot water.
5. Allow the material to dry in the sun.
6. Next, bleach the mildew stain.
7. Wash or soak the affected area with one of the following,
depending on the material.
8. For most fabrics, you can use a non-chlorine bleach.
9. For coloured fabrics, use a solution of 1 cup of lemon juice and 1
cup of salt to a gallon of hot water.
10. For colour safe fabrics, use a solution of 2 tablespoons of
bleach to a quart of water.
11. Allow the bleached area to dry thoroughly.

Alternatively you could purchase a product like Mold Off
http://www.moldoff.org
Good Luck!

Vødkäjéllÿ

"phasmatis" wrote in message
ups.com
[...]

Crikey! Looks like I've got a job and a half on my hands now!
Thanks for the info, I'm off to call the chandlery to see if they have some.

GULP :-)

--
Vj