Default Teenagers, Cars and GPS?

JimH wrote:
"Lord Reginald Smithers" Ask me about my driveway leading up to my manor.
wrote in message . ..
Our youngest daughter will be turning 16 in Jan. My wife wants to give
her a GPS unit for the car. My wife's logic is she would be a safer
driver, if she didn't knew where she was going, and was not looking for
street names and addresses.

It seems to me that another electronic toy in the car is just another
thing to distract her from watching the road.

Does anyone have any experience with GPS and teenagers?

and

Most importantly, does anyone have any experience buying a handheld unit
that has both maps for city driving and nautical charts?

I agree with all the advice Doug has offered.

We had a rule with our kids just after they got their license..........no
more than one friend in the car at any time. Statistics show that the
frequency of accidents increases when a new driver has more than one friend
in the car. The more kids in the car.........the more distractions.

Our other rule was no talking on the cell phone when driving.

Speaking of cell phones.....you may want to consider getting her one if she
does not already have one. If she has her own car a membership to AAA is
also a good idea.

Regarding insurance premiums for boys vs. girls..........our experience is
that the premium is *much* higher on boys than girls.

Washington has a special license for young drivers. I may have a few of
the details fuzzy, but in general it works like this: If you get your
license at 16, you cannot drive with another
person under 21 in the car for the first several months. They may also
be some restriction about driving after dark- or at least in the wee
hours of the morning. After the proscribed time period elapses without
ticket, accident, or being caught with other kids in the car the
licensee "graduates" to a full fledged, unrestricted driver's license.
Makes all the sense in the world to me- they put they kids through
driver's ed and have them drive a circle around
the neighborhood cul-de-sac. It's a long way from those back road,
suburban experiences to the bumper-to-bumper at 70mph horn blaring, no
turn signalling, finger waving, high beam flashing reality of the
freeways these days. Kids, as well as the rest of us, need to
concentrate on the road. Hang up and drive.

It's interesting that some insurance companies are now charging more
for girls than for boys. Maybe in the era of hot rods and muscle cars
the boys tended to engage in more dangerous behavior, but in the era of
cell phones the girls are now so distracted they aren't driving as
carefully as they should?

GPS for a kid? Where in the sam heck are they going with the car that
they wouldn't have been able to walk, take a bus, or ride a bike last
year, (and without GPS), before they were a driver? :-)

Bryan

wrote in message . ..
Our youngest daughter will be turning 16 in Jan. My wife wants to give
her a GPS unit for the car. My wife's logic is she would be a safer
driver, if she didn't knew where she was going, and was not looking for
street names and addresses.

It seems to me that another electronic toy in the car is just another
thing to distract her from watching the road.

Does anyone have any experience with GPS and teenagers?

and

Most importantly, does anyone have any experience buying a handheld unit
that has both maps for city driving and nautical charts?

I'd be more interested in a tracking device in my teenage daughter's car.
Hulk Hogan put one in his daughter's car when she started dating!

Actually, think of it this way: your teen can pull over to look at the gps
if she gets lost instead of stopping to ask stranger's the way or wandering
about possibly into neighborhood's that aren't safe. Just stress the
importance of pulling over to read the gps. Of course, with a friend in the
car, they would be the navigator. And don't forget to teach her how to read
a map.

Bryan

Lord Reginald Smithers

Chuck,

Unfortunately, Mass Transit sucks in my area. There are very few sidewalks,
so riding a bike outside of the neighborhood is very rarely seen. The
parents run the kids up to the mall, to the movies, to friends and to
school functions etc. What surprised by my wife and myself with the other
kids, is that the kids had no idea how to get from point A to point B, even
though they had been driven there for years. It seems that their mind was
in another world. That might be why they never responded as we talked to
them.

When I give my wife my input on the idea of a Tom-Tom for the car, I am sure
she will ask her friends. I am also certain they will agree with the
consensus of rec.boats. It also shows what a great job Tom-Tom is doing
with marketing. My wife is not a techno guru, but she thought it was the
best thing since sliced bread.

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote in message . ..
[...]

JR North

Geeez...a cell phone, gps, blabbing friends, blaring tunes...Hope your
insurance is paid up. Oh, and please tell us where she will be driving,
so we can get the hell out of the way.
JR

Lord Reginald Smithers wrote:
Our youngest daughter will be turning 16 in Jan. My wife wants to give her
a GPS unit for the car. My wife's logic is she would be a safer driver, if
she didn't knew where she was going, and was not looking for street names
and addresses.

It seems to me that another electronic toy in the car is just another thing
to distract her from watching the road.

Does anyone have any experience with GPS and teenagers?

and

Most importantly, does anyone have any experience buying a handheld unit
that has both maps for city driving and nautical charts?

Lord Reginald Smithers

Fred,
Yes, but we don't allow her to use it in the car.

manor. wrote in :

Our youngest daughter will be turning 16 in Jan. My wife wants to
give her a GPS unit for the car. My wife's logic is she would be a
safer driver, if she didn't knew where she was going, and was not
looking for street names and addresses.

It seems to me that another electronic toy in the car is just another
thing to distract her from watching the road.

"Another" electronic toy? Guess for her 15th you got her a vibrator?

Skipper

Lord Reginald Smithers wrote:

That might be why they never responded as we talked to them.

I've noticed that Krause does not respond to your posts. Do you have any
idea why? Did you embarrass him or somethin?

--
Skipper

Lord Reginald Smithers

Skipper,
I have no idea, I have always been polite in all of my conversations with
him.

My guess is he does not feel he can converse with someone with my
educational background. ; )

"Skipper" wrote in message
Lord Reginald Smithers wrote:

That might be why they never responded as we talked to them.

I've noticed that Krause does not respond to your posts. Do you have any
idea why? Did you embarrass him or somethin?

--
Skipper

Skipper

Lord Reginald Smithers wrote:

I've noticed that Krause does not respond to your posts. Do you have any
idea why? Did you embarrass him or somethin?

I have no idea, I have always been polite in all of my conversations with
him.

My guess is he does not feel he can converse with someone with my
educational background. ; )

Well, I have noticed he's just not journeyman TV news anchor material.
He does present more as a weekend cub reporter. You may be right, it
might just be a case of being upstaged by your presence. His type does
not handle that well.

--
Skipper
Lord Reginald Smithers

Harry,
Did you know my parents? My mother was an angel wasn't she?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Skipper wrote:
Lord Reginald Smithers wrote:

That might be why they never responded as we talked to them.

I've noticed that Krause does not respond to your posts. Do you have any
idea why? Did you embarrass him or somethin?

--
Skipper

Smithers is an embarrassment to his parents, not to me.

--
Jesus: A Long Haired, Peace Loving, Anti Establishment, Liberal.