Bryan

Default Best Handheld VHF?

Any handheld VHF recommendations?

Looking for quality, functionality, affordability, ...

Which and why? And best recent price you've seen?

Bryan wrote:
Any handheld VHF recommendations?

Looking for quality, functionality, affordability, ...

Which and why? And best recent price you've seen?

I've got a Uniden MHS 350 that seems to work well, is easy to use, and
it's around $160 or so at West Marine

Bryan wrote:
Any handheld VHF recommendations?

Looking for quality, functionality, affordability, ...

Which and why? And best recent price you've seen?

The internal electronics are all about the same, regardless of brand
name.

That changes the equation a bit.

Almost any major brand will be built well enough to withstand normal
use and even some abuse, so you're down to deciding how many, and
which, bells and whistles you want and which models are the most
ergonomically usable for you as an individual. Range and the degree of
water-resistance will also be major considerations.

My thoughts: Is this handheld going into a ditch bag, or intended for
use merely as a backup to a hard-wired system? In that case, the fewer
the gizmos, gadgets, fancy tricks,
and electro magics built in- the better. You wouldn't want to be
without a radio in an emergency because some peripheral, non-essential
toy feature crapped out and took another circuit down in the process.

If the handheld is going to be the primary radio aboard the boat, you
might want to opt for
some of the fancier features.......but the previous paragraph could
also apply just as
easily in that case.

Bryan

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bryan wrote:
[...]

Primary and ditch. Need dependable 30 NM range maximum. Need a waterproof
floater (it'll get wet if I'm floating about in my pfd while I wait for a
ride). Don't know what bells and whistles I could need.

*JimH*

"Bryan" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bryan wrote:
[...]

Sorry but you will not get that with a handheld. 5 miles is tops.

*JimH*

" *JimH*" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bryan wrote:
[...]

BTW: I have the Standard Horizon HX260S and have been happy with it. I
have seen them going for $100 on Ebay.....in fact I think I posted a link
for you on that auction.

The new model is the HX270S

http://tinyurl.com/bl3ll

Bryan

" *JimH*" wrote in message
BTW: I have the Standard Horizon HX260S and have been happy with it. I
have seen them going for $100 on Ebay.....in fact I think I posted a link
for you on that auction.

The new model is the HX270S

http://tinyurl.com/bl3ll

Well, I just tried to buy the HX270S off ebay, but apparently someone in my
family has linked their userid and password to my credit card. So, until
the kids get home or I can find my wife, I'm stuck.

Bryan wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Bryan wrote:
[...]

Won't happen without an external antenna.

Lord Reginald Smithers

Kevin,
With the low wattage output of a handheld you will not be able to come close
to 30 nm.
even with an external antenna.

wrote in message
oups.com...