John

Default Is this rec.boats or politics.stupid

I don't mean to be rude, but there are considerable more polictical posts on
this group then there are boats. Shouldn't we stay on target and post the
polictical BS on another site?

John wrote:
I don't mean to be rude, but there are considerable more polictical posts on
this group then there are boats. Shouldn't we stay on target and post the
polictical BS on another site?

Good luck with that. :-)

One whole big chunk of the frequent posters here post almost
exclusively about politics.
A few will mention something about a boat, rarely, but quite a few in
"the heart of the lineup" don't even make a pretense about an interest
in boats or boating.

We all seem to dabble in OT posts from time to time. Certainly I have
done so. What is unique to the internet, however, seems to be this form
of communication where people post the meanest, most vile and hateful
things they can imagine to virtual strangers in a public forum. If you
take a step back from the fray and look at what's going on, it's really
bizarre.

Are you the same guy that asked about Crownline yesterday? It remains
true that if you pose a boating question or comment you will get *some*
response, but if you want to be sure that you start a thread that will
go on for several days and extend to hundreds of posts between 8-12
participants, just mention: conservatives, liberals, George Bush, Bill
Clinton, war in Iraq, peace in Iraq, gun control, homosexuality,
abortion, Islam,... or call somebody a name.

Weird that it works that way in this group, but it does.

It's a social phenomenon that goes well beyond rec.boats. I am learning
to play the bagpipe, (or attempting to learn), and I checked out the
bagpipe NG one day. Lo and behold, one or two (unemployed ?) guys
dominate the board and spend all day posting OT insults and crap.

If I wanted to ask a question about bagpiping, I'd be afraid to do so
on that site for fear of the smart-assed and insulting response I'd
likely get.

There are some good boating NG's. hulltruth, iboat, and some others.
Sorry to say, this isn't one of them- hasn't been for the last several
years and it's unlikely that it will ever be again.

John

Chuck,

Yes, that was me inquiring about the Crownlines. I found some of your
write-ups on the internet (very good job).

I guess I'm just use to moderated newsgroups, where posts stay on topic or
are removed. It doesn't make sense to me why someone would post their
political view on a boat newsgroup. Seems this would only drive boat people
away and attract non boat people; kinda the opposite of what you would think
people would want...

Thanks again for putting things into perspective. I quess like everything
else, you have to take the good with the bad...

That remindings me about the American liberal consverative homosexual in
Iraq who thinks guns should be outlawed since there are used to kill doctors
in aboration clinics (did I cover enough).

John
wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
[...]

*JimH*

wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
I don't mean to be rude, but there are considerable more polictical posts
on
this group then there are boats. Shouldn't we stay on target and post
the
polictical BS on another site?

Good luck with that. :-)

One whole big chunk of the frequent posters here post almost
exclusively about politics.
A few will mention something about a boat, rarely, but quite a few in
"the heart of the lineup" don't even make a pretense about an interest
in boats or boating.

And until recently you fit into that group. ;-)

If you are changing your habits, good for you. In fact your review of
Crownline boats was quite good.

I know I am living in a glass house. But I also did not claim to live in a
brick house. ;-)

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
I don't mean to be rude, but there are considerable more polictical posts
on
this group then there are boats. Shouldn't we stay on target and post
the
polictical BS on another site?

Good luck with that. :-)

One whole big chunk of the frequent posters here post almost
exclusively about politics.
A few will mention something about a boat, rarely, but quite a few in
"the heart of the lineup" don't even make a pretense about an interest
in boats or boating.

And until recently you fit into that group. ;-)

If you are changing your habits, good for you. In fact your review of
Crownline boats was quite good.

I know I am living in a glass house. But I also did not claim to live in a
brick house. ;-)

G'morning, Mr. Hertvik. The portion of my remarks that you snipped
included a statement that most of us have engaged in OT posting and a
statement "Certainly I have done so."
With that portion of the post removed, your comments are appropriate.
With the original post considered in its entirety, your observations
are superflous. Have a pleasant day.

*JimH*

wrote in message
oups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
I don't mean to be rude, but there are considerable more polictical
posts
on
this group then there are boats. Shouldn't we stay on target and post
the
polictical BS on another site?

Good luck with that. :-)

One whole big chunk of the frequent posters here post almost
exclusively about politics.
A few will mention something about a boat, rarely, but quite a few in
"the heart of the lineup" don't even make a pretense about an interest
in boats or boating.

And until recently you fit into that group. ;-)

If you are changing your habits, good for you. In fact your review of
Crownline boats was quite good.

I know I am living in a glass house. But I also did not claim to live in
brick house. ;-)

G'morning, Mr. Hert. The portion of my remarks that you snipped
included a statement that most of us have engaged in OT posting and a
statement "Certainly I have done so."
With that portion of the post removed, your comments are appropriate.
With the original post considered in its entirety, your observations
are superflous. Have a pleasant day.

Good morning Chuck. Please, call me Jim. ;-)

Thats telling 'em ! But you ought to look in a mirror, that is if you
can find one that will show your reflection, or won't break

Kevin's like that, it's just more of his childish antics. I think I've
solved it. He is a child messing with his parent's computer. It makes
sense. The Desmo Moto Guzzi, his childish actions here, his holier-than-thou
attitude, his petty name calling and lies.......

*JimH* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
[...]

Jim's like that, it's just more of his childish antics. I think I've
solved it. He is a child messing with his parent's computer. It makes
sense. The moped, his childish actions here, his holier-than-thou
attitude, his petty name calling and lies.......

NOYB

wrote in message
oups.com...
if you want to be sure that you start a thread that will
go on for several days and extend to hundreds of posts between 8-12
participants, just mention: conservatives, liberals, George Bush, Bill
Clinton, war in Iraq, peace in Iraq, gun control, homosexuality,
abortion, Islam,... or call somebody a name.

Great. Now that you've included all of those trigger words in this thread,
you've assured that it will go on for several days and hundreds of posts.

BTW--I oppose at least 7 of the things that you listed above. Can you guess
which seven?

Don White

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

if you want to be sure that you start a thread that will
go on for several days and extend to hundreds of posts between 8-12
participants, just mention: conservatives, liberals, George Bush, Bill
Clinton, war in Iraq, peace in Iraq, gun control, homosexuality,
abortion, Islam,... or call somebody a name.

Great. Now that you've included all of those trigger words in this thread,
you've assured that it will go on for several days and hundreds of posts.

BTW--I oppose at least 7 of the things that you listed above. Can you guess
which seven?

I guess...
conservatives
George Bush