Sir Rodney Smithers

Default GPS for boat *and* car

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I rarely give the instruments in the cabin of my boats a cold shower, but
you never know.

Harry,
Heck, you very rarely go out in YoHo.

Dan Krueger

Captain Joe Redcloud wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:10:55 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Same deal with marine AM/FM/CD radios. The "marine" part seems to
amount to a white face plate and not much more.

You need to do more than look at the large type. Although there are some units
that are as you say, most, if not all, brand name stereos that are sold as
marine versions have conformally coated circuit boards, sealed controls, and
other things that make them quite different than their automotive cousins.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

CJR,

There may be some that are truly converted for marine use but here is
the first one on the West Marine site:

http://tinyurl.com/a4gfo

"Splash resistant, one year warranty" is not a strong statement for use
in a boat. An open cockpit, or a bowrider, will see too much rain to
qualify as a "splash". It's not a surprise that Poly Planar (sp?) makes
sealed enclosures as Harry mentioned. The bottom line is that this
$169.99 unit is no better than a Sony, Aiwa, or Pioneer selling for $89
or less.

I will add that my Pioneer Marine speakers have been drenched with salt
and fresh water for several years and still sound great. That was one
purchase I would make again. I was fortunate to have previewed them on
a friend's boats who had them for a few years when I listened to them.

Dan
Dan Krueger

Harry Krause wrote:

I carry one of these on Yo-Ho. It isn't waterproof, but it seems spray
resistant, and I can move it around the cockpit or the cabin for sounds
where I happen to be. And it has some neato features, too. About $120.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=8042

I have the same thing. My MP3 player works well in the Aux port.

Dan

I used to live near that exit. There is another problem in that there
is an exit 18A and 18B if my memory is correct. The difference is
whether you go north or south on Mamaroneck Avenue.

Of course as Bob Dylan once said: "If you don't know where you are
going, any direction will do".

:-)

Denis Marier

Right, I did not know the area, I should have known better:-(
As for exit 18A and 18B we used the paper map and made the right turn.
If you do not have any local road knowledge. It is a good thing to make sure
that you have a current update of the maps into your GPS. A paper map gives
me a more global vision of where I am going.

ups.com...