Dan Krueger

Default GPS for boat *and* car

Captain Joe Redcloud wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:10:55 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Same deal with marine AM/FM/CD radios. The "marine" part seems to
amount to a white face plate and not much more.

You need to do more than look at the large type. Although there are some units
that are as you say, most, if not all, brand name stereos that are sold as
marine versions have conformally coated circuit boards, sealed controls, and
other things that make them quite different than their automotive cousins.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

CJR,

There may be some that are truly converted for marine use but here is
the first one on the West Marine site:

http://tinyurl.com/a4gfo

"Splash resistant, one year warranty" is not a strong statement for use
in a boat. An open cockpit, or a bowrider, will see too much rain to
qualify as a "splash". It's not a surprise that Poly Planar (sp?) makes
sealed enclosures as Harry mentioned. The bottom line is that this
$169.99 unit is no better than a Sony, Aiwa, or Pioneer selling for $89
or less.

I will add that my Pioneer Marine speakers have been drenched with salt
and fresh water for several years and still sound great. That was one
purchase I would make again. I was fortunate to have previewed them on
a friend's boats who had them for a few years when I listened to them.

Dan