Sir Rodney Smithers

Default GM Forced to Lay Off Thousands

JohnH,
You have noticed the messages Harry ignores. There seems to be a pattern
here.

Damn, I have to put you back in my filter so I won't see your messages.

Maybe Harry can tell me how the filter system operates.

"John H." wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:40:42 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:52:59 -0500, Harry Krause

wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:
"John H." wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:28:56 -0500, " *JimH*" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:23:57 -0500, Harry Krause

wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:
"John H." wrote in message
On 21 Nov 2005 13:53:41 -0800, wrote:

Skipper wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Skipper" wrote in message
Sir Rodney Smithers wrote:
"Skipper" wrote:
Wonder if Krause drives A GM product or one o' them
oriental
makes?
Krause purchased a Toyota Tundra. I am sure he is
completely
responsible
for those 30,000 employees losing their job.
He should be ashamed of himself.
Then bottom line, he and his ilk *are* responsible for those
lost
jobs.
Hang on a minute, Scupper. I thought you right wing fags
believe
in
personal
responsibility. It sure seems that way when you're slamming
the
welfare
system. But now, GM gets a pass because not enough customers
want
their
cars?
It's more a red state blue state thingy. Real Americans live
in red
states, buy GM or Ford, and support their country. Them
leftists
living
in blue states allowed to drive make payments on foreign
tinkle
toys.
Bottom line...the Looney Left does not support their country
or
traditional American values. They weaken American at every
turn.

--
Skipper
That's because righties are lemmings, lefties are not. A right
winger
would buy American no matter what, because they're told to do
so. A
left winger would use their brains, and know that some of the
foreign
models are more dependable, and better equipped for less money.
And then bitch about the jobs going overseas.
--
John H
My Tacoma was built in California. IIRC, the engine block came

I recall reading several years ago that Toyota was planning to
manufacture some of its truck engines in the USA, too, but I
haven't
followed that story, so I have no idea whether it took place.

Some of us realize that if the US had a decent program of national
health insurance and pension programs, as most other modern
nations do,
our manufacturers would be more competitive.
If we all gave the money to the government, we wouldn't be able to
buy
the
products at the prices they'd want anyway.
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, beautiful bride, it's only a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite
I heard this on 700 WLW this morning. The figures are pretty close
what
I recall as being reported:

Average number of hours to produce a car:

Toyota 21 hours
Ford 26 hours
Chrysler 34 hours
GM 38 hours

Add to that the health care coverage and pension giveaways and one
wonders
why GM is struggling?

And how badly do the unions fight against robotics?
--
John H
NPR interview with a union official from (IIRC) Kentucky: He said one

As usual, Herring has it wrong. While Japanese companies have embraced
technology and modernization, and train their workers for new jobs, US
auto companies have long been more interested in trying to pump up
short term results, and they don't automate at nearly the same rate as
the overseas companies.

Whatever is wrong with US automakers is a result of bad management.

Did my comment about robotics go right over your head, Harry? Do you
think
management has fought robotics on our assembly lines?

I give your comments all the attention they deserve, John.

Your responses have been showing your abilities, Harry.
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, beautiful bride, it's only a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite

Dan Krueger

wrote:

John H. wrote:

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:42:53 -0500, " *JimH*" wrote:

John H

http://www.jdpa.com/news/releases/pr...asp?ID=2005088
http://www.toyota-europe.com/about/n...dNews_2005.asp
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/print...20050520a3.htm

Go figure.

Edit links

I'm surprised at how few problems Jaguar had reported. After owning an
MGB-GT, I thought British cars were little more than maintenance hobbies.

Jaguar is owned by FORD.

And Saab is owned by GM.

What's your point, Kevin?

Neither build boats.
Dan Krueger

thunder wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:21:29 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

A friend's got a 5 yr old Jag. Loves to drive it, but his wife's had to
talk him out of shooting it a few times. The latest bull****: The car's
got sensors to tell the driver when parking & headlights are burned out.
The sensors or the method of installation are defective (which confirms
was any real mechanic will tell you about Brit cars and electrical
nightmares). If it's the sensors that are bad, they're a couple hundred
bucks each. Ridiculous.

You do know, Jaguar is owned by Ford.

http://www.ford.com/en/company/about/brands/jaguar.htm

Ownership is meaningless in this OT thread.
Terry Spragg

Dan Krueger wrote:
thunder wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:21:29 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

A friend's got a 5 yr old Jag. Loves to drive it, but his wife's had to
talk him out of shooting it a few times. The latest bull****: The car's
got sensors to tell the driver when parking & headlights are burned out.
The sensors or the method of installation are defective (which confirms
was any real mechanic will tell you about Brit cars and electrical
nightmares). If it's the sensors that are bad, they're a couple hundred
bucks each. Ridiculous.

You do know, Jaguar is owned by Ford.
http://www.ford.com/en/company/about/brands/jaguar.htm

Ownership is meaningless in this OT thread.

Ah, but what a car to drive! I didn't buy one, after shopping used
for a Sovereign for about two months, because of the moral
obligation to keep such a magnificent machine in tune, at horrendous
cost. Most of the ones I tried had erroneous lamp alarms, and had
the air suspension removed, and suffered rust behind the front
"wings", being engineered for absolute minimum weight of sheet metal.

Ah, but what a car to drive! When I backed toward the pump to
mistakenly put some regular "petrol" in one beautiful maroon green
beauty, the person using the pump looked at the car, and then at me,
and then moved his truck out of my way before going in to pay! It
was a long line-up, and he was still waiting, last in line when I
came in to pay, as I put in only 20 bucks for a short test drive.
Who said I got no class?

So help me, he tugged at his forelock, stepped back and motioned me
to go ahead of him!

I couldn't do it, but he insisted, as his wife wasn't finished
shopping. I paid in cash and the cashier said "Thank you sir!"

I said "Don't call me sir, my parents were married."

Nobody even cracked a smile, except this fellow who was being SO
courteous, who visibly blushed, and choked off a massive guffaw.

My wife said the car made her feel like a queen, but she was afraid
to drive it. What a flat out gorgeous machine!

Too bad GM can't figure out what car buyers really want: economy,
simplicity, reliability, price.

Same as sailors, eh?

Terry K

John H.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:25:44 -0500, "Sir Rodney Smithers" Ask me about my
knighthood. wrote:

JohnH,
You have noticed the messages Harry ignores. There seems to be a pattern
here.

Damn, I have to put you back in my filter so I won't see your messages.

Maybe Harry can tell me how the filter system operates.

Set up your filter so that anything with any truth to it will be filtered.

Read *all* the messages when you sit down at your computer, or, in Harry's
case, every 5 minutes all day long whether on vacation or at home.

Now hit the filter button.

Go copy all the 'filtered' message headers from the messages you just read.

Paste all those message headers on the board, and tell everyone you didn't
read them!

Simple.

[Then go look in the mirror and tell yourself how lovely and well-liked you
are!]

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:15:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Get him here before Lake Ontario freezes over.

Why?

Headlines:

"Mysterious Diving Accident -- Man Crushes Skull Off End of Pier"
or
"Drunken Ice Fisherman Attaches 200 lbs of Lead Sinkers to Own Leg"

Happy Thanksgiving...

Skipper

Q wrote:

Get him here before Lake Ontario freezes over.

Why?

Headlines:

"Mysterious Diving Accident -- Man Crushes Skull Off End of Pier"
or
"Drunken Ice Fisherman Attaches 200 lbs of Lead Sinkers to Own Leg"

We sail the ocean blue,
And our saucy ship's a beauty;
We're sober men and true,
And attentive to our duty.
When the balls whistle free
O'er the bright blue sea,
We stand to our guns all day;
When at anchor we ride
On the Portsmouth tide,
We have plenty of time to play.

--
Skipper
John H.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:34:12 -0600, Skipper wrote:

Q wrote:

Get him here before Lake Ontario freezes over.

Why?

Headlines:

"Mysterious Diving Accident -- Man Crushes Skull Off End of Pier"
or
"Drunken Ice Fisherman Attaches 200 lbs of Lead Sinkers to Own Leg"

We sail the ocean blue,
And our saucy ship's a beauty;
We're sober men and true,
And attentive to our duty.
When the balls whistle free
O'er the bright blue sea,
We stand to our guns all day;
When at anchor we ride
On the Portsmouth tide,
We have plenty of time to play.

For he is an Englishman...
For he himself has said it,
And it's greatly to his credit, and etc.

I was in the "HMS Pinafore" in high school. Loved it.