Bill McKee

Default Why the Battery Tray Is Very Wet?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had the same problem, but I found out about the leaking when I was
wintering the engine. I did not notice any wetness in the bilge, but
when
I was finished I noticed my jeans were falling apart. The acid ate
through
the seat and legs from when I sat next to the battery. The dealer could
not identify the problem, so I just purchased a battery box, with a lid,
so
the acid would not splash around the bilge. The battery lasted 3 yrs,
and
it never failed me, but when the tire dealer put a heavy stress on the
battery it showed up weak. Since I didn't want to have it fail me in the
middle of the lake, I replaced both of them.

Sorry to hear that you have a bad experience with a leaky battery. But
I think neither of mine is leaking. I didn't smell anything unusual.
They were just water. I used my bare hands with paper towel to clean
the battery trays, and my skin was not irritated.

Jay Chan

Battery acid may not bother your hand that much. I have had a battery
decide to crack and leak. I have individual battery boxes so I could see
the liquid.

DSK wrote:

BTW you should mix up a solution of baking soda in distilled water and
use it to wipe down the area around your batteries. You'd be amazed at
what that stuff gets on, and it is very corrosive.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Definitely! I had a battery case split one time when I was fishing, and
waited till I got home to do anything. After flushing with baking soda
and water, I rinsed it well. The next day, I had a LOT of rewiring to
do. Terminals corroded everywhere, wire ends corroded, inline fuses
corroded, on and on!

Battery Question Marc Electronics 4 November 20th 05 03:02 AM
The Best Way to Provide 24-volt for a 24-volt Trolling Motor? [email protected] General 8 November 16th 05 03:18 AM
Same battery - different cells - different water levels beaufortnc Cruising 1 November 3rd 05 02:04 AM
Solar battery chargers and batteries Dan J.S. General 5 October 11th 05 10:35 PM
battery isolator problem! povman Electronics 2 October 5th 05 09:20 AM