posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
dh@.

Default ??? about clear plastic

A lot of people around here have covers made for their
boats that will go around the front deck or a rear deck,
custom made of fabric and heavy flexible clear plastic
sown together, and it usually snaps and zippers in place. I
don't know what to call them. What I'm mainly interested
in is the plastic. Can anyone tell me some specifics about
it so I have an idea what to look for, and maybe even
where to get it?
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Rosalie B.

dh@. wrote:

A lot of people around here have covers made for their
boats that will go around the front deck or a rear deck,
custom made of fabric and heavy flexible clear plastic
sown together, and it usually snaps and zippers in place. I
don't know what to call them. What I'm mainly interested
in is the plastic. Can anyone tell me some specifics about
it so I have an idea what to look for, and maybe even
where to get it?

The top is called a bimini. The front (toward the bow of the boat) is
called a dodger. The other side pieces are called side curtains.

We had some that came with the boat from the PO. Eventually it got
scratched and fogged and so Bob ordered some more and replaced it. I
don't know what it is called though so I'll have to ask him.

grandma Rosalie
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Terry Spragg

dh@. wrote:

A lot of people around here have covers made for their
boats that will go around the front deck or a rear deck,
custom made of fabric and heavy flexible clear plastic
sown together, and it usually snaps and zippers in place. I
don't know what to call them. What I'm mainly interested
in is the plastic. Can anyone tell me some specifics about
it so I have an idea what to look for, and maybe even
where to get it?

Weather canvas.

Tent maker.

Or, do your own, all it takes is a needle and palm.

We got out material at a fabric store, and made frames from semi
flexible chiney rod fibergalss material.

Some one here has made his bimini cover (intended primarily for a
sunshade) using old fire hose inflated with air for a framework.
Says it works good, and ya can't hurt you head on it.

Yup, really.

Terry K

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Roger Derby

Lots of choices, but I suspect most is vinyl (aka polyvinyl chloride aka
PVC). I've bought most from Wal-Mart's fabric section, but for rigid stuff
I went to US Plastics
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...+plastic+sheet

If you make up patterns, I suspect your local convertible top maker will be
more reasonable than the marine suppliers.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

dh@. wrote in message ...
A lot of people around here have covers made for their
boats that will go around the front deck or a rear deck,
custom made of fabric and heavy flexible clear plastic
sown together, and it usually snaps and zippers in place. I
don't know what to call them. What I'm mainly interested
in is the plastic. Can anyone tell me some specifics about
it so I have an idea what to look for, and maybe even
where to get it?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Ernest Scribbler

dh@. wrote
What I'm mainly interested
in is the plastic. Can anyone tell me some specifics about
it so I have an idea what to look for, and maybe even
where to get it?

http://canvasdealer.com/clear_vinyl.asp

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Peter Bennett

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:32:13 -0500, dh@. wrote:

A lot of people around here have covers made for their
boats that will go around the front deck or a rear deck,
custom made of fabric and heavy flexible clear plastic
sown together, and it usually snaps and zippers in place. I
don't know what to call them. What I'm mainly interested
in is the plastic. Can anyone tell me some specifics about
it so I have an idea what to look for, and maybe even
where to get it?

Ask around for someone who does "boat canvas" - they will have, or
know where to get, that plastic.

You might also look in the Yellow Pages under "Plastic" for suppliers
of plastic sheet and other materials.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Geoff Schultz

dh@. wrote in :

A lot of people around here have covers made for their
boats that will go around the front deck or a rear deck,
custom made of fabric and heavy flexible clear plastic
sown together, and it usually snaps and zippers in place. I
don't know what to call them. What I'm mainly interested
in is the plastic. Can anyone tell me some specifics about
it so I have an idea what to look for, and maybe even
where to get it?

The best product on the market is called StrataGlass. You can find them at
www.strataglass.com It's a vinyl laminate with scratch resistant surfaces
and blocks 100% of UV. It is expensive, but you won't end up replacing it
in a few years due to yellowing or deterioration.

You really need to follow their care & cleaning instructions. The Imar
Strateglass cleaner works very well.

-- Geoff
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Steve

You can get small quantities from SailRite and they are accustom to dealing
with boaters who 'just need a little help'.

http://www.sailrite.com/

Nice people.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM
Need Plastics or plastic parts? Dave General 0 November 7th 05 08:47 PM
Need Starboard or other plastic parts and material? Dave Crew 0 November 7th 05 08:36 PM