Skipper

Default Bioluminescent Phosphorescence

We were based out of San Carlos on a July visit to the Cortez. The old
Miramar hotel had a large thatch covered palapa on Bacochibampo beach
just out of Guaymas that featured good drinks and mariachi music 'til
the wee hours of the morning. We dinked over to Bacochibampo in the late
afternoon for dinner, drinks, and a few hours of good conversation after
a busy day of diving.

Time seemed to slip by. It was about 10 PM when, drawn by the sound of
the surf gently lapping on shore, I stepped off the palapa's large
concrete floor to walk that sand beach on this moonless night. As I
approached the shore with the sound of mariachi music playing in the
distance, the scene seemed magical. The bioluminescence of those small
waves breaking on shore was surrealistic and illuminated the area with a
faint green glow. I must have walked two miles on the beach that
evening. I'd seen this glow before and since, but never with so much
intensity.

Returning the 10 miles to San Carlos in the evening was also an
unforgettable experience. Senses were raised as we skimmed across the
clear warm waters of the bay. Forward, the surface was not visible, you
saw stars, dim lights from the distant shore, and a three dimensional
sea with bioluminescent waters highlighting schools of fish and a few
monsters at depths up to fifty feet. Astern, the wake offered a bright
glow and reassurance that you were not indeed floating *in* the sea.

--
Skipper
JR North

Oh, yeah, We got that up here in Puget Sound and around the San Juans
big time. Sometimes, at night,it takes your mind off deadheads and
wooden submarines, for a few minutes....
JR

Skipper wrote:
[...]

A few yrs ago in summer when we were camping at St. Joseph Peninsula St
PArk here in N. FL. I threw an oyster shell into the bay and thought I
musta gotten some bad shrimp and was hallucinating. Rays of light shot
out from the splash. Hands dipped in the water glowed and when smeared
on ourselves left us glowing. Footsteps left glowing imprints on the
sand. Truly bizarre. We see some of the bio light stuff most summers
but never again like that.

NOYB

wrote in message
oups.com...
A few yrs ago in summer when we were camping at St. Joseph Peninsula St
PArk here in N. FL. I threw an oyster shell into the bay and thought I
musta gotten some bad shrimp and was hallucinating. Rays of light shot
out from the splash. Hands dipped in the water glowed and when smeared
on ourselves left us glowing. Footsteps left glowing imprints on the
sand. Truly bizarre. We see some of the bio light stuff most summers
but never again like that.

If I run a net through the water in my canal at certain times of the year,
we get the same glow in the water. I think it's jellyfish.

NOYB wrote:

If I run a net through the water in my canal at certain times of the year,
we get the same glow in the water. I think it's jellyfish.

YOUR canal?

RG

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

If I run a net through the water in my canal at certain times of the year,
we get the same glow in the water. I think it's jellyfish.

Been hittin' the gas again, Doc? That's pulp in the canal, not jellyfish,
and the glow is coming from that big light suspended above and behind your
head. And I have no idea just what you expect to accomplish in there with a
net, suggest you switch to drills and files. Or just call in an
Endodontist.

Don White

RG wrote:

Been hittin' the gas again, Doc? That's pulp in the canal, not jellyfish,
and the glow is coming from that big light suspended above and behind your
head. And I have no idea just what you expect to accomplish in there with a
net, suggest you switch to drills and files. Or just call in an
Endodontist.

Ouch! That hurt more than a toothache.