Jeff Rigby

Default My old assertion that Bush hid intel...TRUE

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
John H. wrote:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 06:12:01 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

There have been more revelations about the intel the Bush Administration
did not share with Democratic members of Congress. This is another news
story that is going to dog Bush, who is now in the People's Republic of
China to see how many more American jobs he can give away. Or whatever
he is doing over there.

Your use of the term 'news story' says it all.

Yes, John, that's what they are called.

--
Real Christians are liberal.

To True, I prefer to teach a man how to fish rather than to just give him a
fish that I magically create (government accounting practices). Somewhere
someone pays and we don't all have direct connections to anti-entropy (God).
I guess that makes me a enlightened liberal =
Republican-libertarian-fiscally conservative-humanist

Real people can't be labeled.

John H.

wrote:

There have been more revelations about the intel the Bush Administration
did not share with Democratic members of Congress. This is another news
story that is going to dog Bush, who is now in the People's Republic of
China to see how many more American jobs he can give away. Or whatever
he is doing over there.
Your use of the term 'news story' says it all.

Yes, John, that's what they are called.

--
Real Christians are liberal.

To True, I prefer to teach a man how to fish rather than to just give him a
fish that I magically create (government accounting practices). Somewhere
someone pays and we don't all have direct connections to anti-entropy (God).
I guess that makes me a enlightened liberal =
Republican-libertarian-fiscally conservative-humanist

Real people can't be labeled.

If you are going after government accounting practices, don't forget
corporate accounting practices. There are no bigger crooks than publicly
traded corporations.

Where's JimH with some more union stories?
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite
P Fritz

wrote:

[...]

Here are a few......................

TEAMSTERS (IBT)

Virginia Beach Ex-Bookkeeper Pleads Guilty to Embezzlement

For nearly a half decade Marcia Huizenga thought nobody would figure out how
all those extra paychecks managed to get cashed. But in the end somebody
did figure it out. Huizenga, 48, formerly bookkeeper for Teamsters Local
822, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court on November 4 to embezzling more
than $47,000 in union funds. A routine audit by the local discovered that
from January 1999 to August 2003 she had prepared and cashed 77 extra
paychecks for her own personal use. Huizenga did not dispute the charge
when confronted with the evidence. Local 822 represents about 2,000 meat
cutters, barbers, warehouse workers and other tradesmen in the Virginia
Tidewater area. (Associated Press, 11/5).

LABORERS (LIUNA)

Niagara Falls Menace Sentenced; He's in Good Company

The halls of justice have claimed another member of LIUNA Local 91's
criminal old guard that for a good half-dozen years terrorized nonunion
workers at Niagara Falls-area constructions sites. This November 2,
Salvatore Spatorico, 58, received a 27-month sentence in U.S. District
Court. He'd assaulted a truck driver at the behest of local leaders back in
April 1998. Spatarico joins five local members already convicted of
racketeering conspiracy, including its president, Robert Malvestuto, Jr.,
and executive board member Patrick McKeown. (Associated Press, 11/2).

BAKERY & TOBACCO WORKERS (BC&T)

Pittsburgh-Area Benefit Fund Administrator Arraigned

Marilyn Constable must be an incurable optimist. The suburban Pittsburgh
woman in late September was indicted by a federal grand jury on 15 counts of
embezzlement. Ms. Constable, 45, allegedly wrote out a dozen illegal checks
totaling more than $7,500 from a death-benefits fund for members of Local 12
of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers union. She
has pleaded not guilty. The union, which represented employees at a
now-closed Nabisco plant and elsewhere, since has merged into BC&T Local 19
in Cleveland.

The indictment charged that Constable, as the fund administrator, diverted
local funds for rent, cable TV, and other personal expenses. Additionally,
she was named last year in an ongoing Labor Department civil complaint
seeking restitution. The suit also named as defendants Local 19, two banks
and several union and bakery industry officials who acted as trustees.
(Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 10/26).

MACHINISTS (IAM)

Former Secretary-Treasurer in California Pleads Guilty

On October 21, William Good Jr., ex-financial secretary-treasurer of Local
Lodge 821 of the International Association of Machinists, pleaded guilty in
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California to two counts of
embezzling union funds totaling $192,469. The guilty plea follows an
investigation by the Labor Department's Office of Labor-Management Standards
and Office of Inspector General. (OLMS, 11/10).

POSTAL WORKERS

Ex-Treasurer in Maryland Sentenced, Ordered to Pay Restitution

On October 18, Steven R. Fairfax, formerly secretary-treasurer of Branch
3939 of the National Association of Letter Carriers, was sentenced in U.S.
District Court for the District of Maryland to five years of probation and
10 months of home confinement for embezzlement of union funds. He also will
have to make restitution to the union in the amount of $53,990.04. He had
been indicted this March. The sentencing follows an investigation by the
Department of Labor (OLMS, 11/10).

GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES (AFGE)

Oklahoma Man Indicted for Embezzlement and Check Fraud

On November 7, Jerry T. LeBlanc, a Tulsa resident and former president of
Local 2250 of the American Federation of Government Employees, was indicted
in federal court in Muskogee for union fund embezzlement and check fraud
totaling about $46,000. (Muskogee Phoenix, 11/9; other sources).

INDEPENDENT GUARDS

Ex-Local Boss in Tennessee Indicted for False Record-Keeping

On October 19, Edward Dupree, formerly president of Local 138 of the
Independent Guards Union of North America, was indicted on one count of
making false entries in union records. The indictment follows an
investigation by the Labor Department's OLMS Nashville District Office.
(OLMS, 11/10).

--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite

John H.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:50:33 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

P Fritz wrote:

TEAMSTERS (IBT)

Virginia Beach Ex-Bookkeeper Pleads Guilty to Embezzlement

For nearly a half decade Marcia Huizenga thought nobody would figure out how
all those extra paychecks managed to get cashed. But in the end somebody
did figure it out. Huizenga, 48, formerly bookkeeper for Teamsters Local
822, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court on November 4 to embezzling more
than $47,000 in union funds. A routine audit by the local discovered that
from January 1999 to August 2003 she had prepared and cashed 77 extra
paychecks for her own personal use. Huizenga did not dispute the charge
when confronted with the evidence. Local 822 represents about 2,000 meat
cutters, barbers, warehouse workers and other tradesmen in the Virginia
Tidewater area. (Associated Press, 11/5).

Most of these people get caught, indicted, and then convicted not
because of "the law," but because union officials who handle money or
who can direct expenditures are required by union bylaws to be "bonded."
When I was a union officer many decades ago, I was "bonded" for $1
million, even though the budget under my direct control was only about
10 per cent of that amount.

If there is even a suspicion of wrongdoing, the bonding company steps
in. It has to make good the losses (that's the real purpose of the
bond), AND it makes damned sure the local prosecutors go after the
perpetrators AND go for the throat.

Thus, union officials who engage in financial crookedness go to jail
usually, and the money that was lost is either recovered or the losses
are made good by the bonding company.

Because of the aggressiveness of bonding companies, you hear more about
the occasional union thief than you do the far more common corporate thief.

But, of course, if you are a simple-minded rightie, as most who post
here are, you believe corporations are honest and unions are not.

All the union official "theft" in history doesn't not add up to one
week's thievery committed by publicly held corporations.

Most of them were corrupt as hell. Actually, there are no bigger crooks
than the corrupt union officials in this country.
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

A Famous Hypocrite

Sir Rodney Smithers

Harry,
Why does the FBI and the Justice Dept. disagree with your assessment of the
Union's and the Mob?

wrote:

P Fritz wrote:

[...]

What an absurd posit, but I would expect nothing less from
the co-chair of the "Obsessed with Harry Club."

Bet you were more fun before you gave up booze, eh?

--
Bush deserves a fair trial!

John H.

wrote:

P Fritz wrote:

[...]

He'll answer in a minute. He has to pretend he didn't see your post, and
then he has to leave the full length mirror next to his desk.