Bill McKee

Default New computer monitor.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
RG wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Thanks...I'll look around for one. I've looked at the best from SONY and
Viewsonic.

The high-end Sony was the benchmark I used when shopping. A very nice
display. Unfortunately, whoever designed the stand for the current model
of the monitor is a complete idiot. No height adjustment at all and a
very awkward tilt adjustment. I stumbled upon the NEC by accident at a
Fry's Electronics store and it was all over. The display was at least
the equal of the Sony as far as my needs for digital photo editing was
concerned, even edging it out a bit, I thought But the height and tilt
adjustment were far superior on the NEC, as were the powered USB ports,
and after rebate, it was $100 less expensive than the Sony. It probably
didn't hurt that I was converting from an NEC CRT that had served me well
for over ten years. Don't even bother with the ViewSonic products. They
are not at the same level as the Sony and NEC.

I noticed that about the SONY. Actually, I'm kinda holding out for
something I like bigger than 19. One of my clients lets me use a Viewsonic
20" when I visit his office, and that size is really nice.
I'm in no real hurry.

--
"W" - Symbol for the Worst President...Ever.

The Sony's were much poorer in the large screen size than some of the other
CRT's. Just not the brightness.

Mr. Smithers

Forest,
Run Forest Run.

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"RG" wrote in message newsuSdf.74$yp6.72@fed1read07...

Here are the specs on the Dell 1905fp Ultrasharp:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...cstab #tabtop

The contrast ratio is 800:1. The NEC has a 700:1 contrast ratio. For
looking at dental x-rays, contrast ratio is one of the most important
specifications.

I hope your approach to dentistry is more multi-dimensional than your
methodology of evaluating display hardware. The NEC, like many newer LCD
monitors, but unlike the 1905fp uses a transreflective display. If you
are unfamiliar with this type of display versus a conventional LCD
display, use the analogy of a glossy versus a matte finish photographic
print. Clearly, some prefer one over the other, but the higher end of
the market, especially product geared for the graphics enthusiast is
gravitating toward the transreflective type of display. And more to the
point, any comparison between numerical contrast ratios between a
standard LCD and a transreflective LCD is completely meaningless. The
transreflective displays offer a much higher qualitative contrast ratio
and much richer color saturation than a standard LCD, very much like
viewing a good quality CRT in that respect. Their one downside is their
reflective characteristic, which is shared by CRT's, and can be
problematic if you have little or no control of the lighting in your
workspace. Don't take my word for it, let your own eyes decide by doing
some eyes-on shopping. Or you could read what these guys said about the
subject:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,122296,00.asp

Frankly, I didn't look at any of the specs when I ordered the monitor. I
looked at the specs after you posted the link to the NEC, just to see how
"my" monitor fared against one that you described as being the best out
there. When I ordered the computers, I had a choice between the "standard
flat panel" or the "ultrasharp" for $80 more. I ordered the Ultrasharp.
And in the process, it seems that I somehow managed to acquire a monitor
that was rated a "best buy" by the guys over at PC World. Who'd a thunk
that a non-"multi-dimensional" guy like me could have done so well all on
my own? I must be like the Forrest Gump of the computer-monitor-buying
world or something.

Mr. Smithers

Harry,
When are you ever away from your computer, typing to rec.boats to go visit
"clients", to go boating on your Parker, or to go "cruising" on your Lobster
Boat?

Heck, even when you were on vacation you spent 8 hrs a day, posting on
rec.boats.

RG wrote:
[...]

Mr. Smithers

Bert,
That is one of the reasons Harry doesn't allow his posts to be archived.
Someone came up with a program that showed that Harry was never away from
his computer for more than an hour, between the hours of 6am-11pm. This
was during the summer months, so it made it very difficult for Harry to talk
about how much time he spent "boating".

RG wrote:
[...]

Bill McKee wrote:
Been looking at replacing the CRT monitor with an LCD one to gain desk
space. Bought a Sceptre at Costco. $269. 19" 12ms response time and 1000
contrast. Very nice monitor. As my sife says, I can now read from across
the room.

As this is a boating newsgroup, it is common courtesy to mark off topic
posts OT. Most people that know and understand how to use newsgroups do
this.

Harry Krause wrote:
RG wrote:
[...]

I've got a 20" Viewsonic, it's a great monitor.

Mr. Smithers wrote:
Kevin,
As this is a boating newsgroup, it is common courtesy to mark off topic
posts OT. Most people that know and understand how to use newsgroups do
this.

First of all, you idiot, I'm not Kevin. Secondly, I didn't start the
thread, you dummy, so how could I possibly mark it off topic????

Mr. Smithers

Kevin,
The way you make a topic is OT is to place the letters "O" and then a "T" at
the very beginning of the subject line, the same way I changed yours to OT.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Kevin,