dh@.

Default How to reduce rocking?

I moved to a different dock to get a better view of the lake.
Now I get a better feel for it too. The waves come right down
between the docks and catch us in the side, creating a lot
of rocking from side to side. Are there any good ways of
reducing this action?
Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:08:31 -0500, dh@. wrote:

I moved to a different dock to get a better view of the lake.
Now I get a better feel for it too. The waves come right down
between the docks and catch us in the side, creating a lot
of rocking from side to side. Are there any good ways of
reducing this action?

A chained tire floating barricade?

Brian Whatcott

dh@.

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:51:42 -0500, "Joe Grassi" wrote:

You could put out some rubber fenders to hold the boat in tighter alittle
better or, like he said wall of tires. Is the boat tightly moored to the
dock?

Well, no. It's strung between two fingers, not touching either. Since
the ropes won't stay tight, I was thinking there might be something
flexible that people use somehow. I hadn't thought about tying it
right up against the dock...is that what you're suggesting? So far it
sounds good enough to me. It's a floating dock. I had thought about
using cable instead of rope, but was afraid something so solid might
pull cleats loose and do actual damage.
Joe Grassi

Ya tie it right up against the dock and see how that goes, just make sure
you have some rubber fenders out so it doesnt damage the rubbing rail of
your boat. But it should be alot better than what you were having before.
Lemme know how it works out for ya.

Joe
wrote:

You could put out some rubber fenders to hold the boat in tighter alittle
better or, like he said wall of tires. Is the boat tightly moored to the
dock?

Well, no. It's strung between two fingers, not touching either. Since
the ropes won't stay tight, I was thinking there might be something
flexible that people use somehow. I hadn't thought about tying it
right up against the dock...is that what you're suggesting? So far it
sounds good enough to me. It's a floating dock. I had thought about
using cable instead of rope, but was afraid something so solid might
pull cleats loose and do actual damage.

Capt. JG

You could do what cruisers do to reduce rocking when anchoring/mooring...

Get a bucket, tie it on the end of your boom and hike the boom out as far as
possible. Let the bucket be submerged. This will dampen the effects of the
rocking motion. Of course, you have to be mindful of the boom sticking out
in the slip area and into someone else's space or onto the walkway, but it
might be worth trying. If you put the bucket on a long enough line, you
wouldn't have to worry about it hitting the side of the boat.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

dh@.

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:42:40 -0500, "Joe Grassi" wrote:

Ya tie it right up against the dock and see how that goes, just make sure
you have some rubber fenders out so it doesnt damage the rubbing rail of
your boat. But it should be alot better than what you were having before.
Lemme know how it works out for ya.

Joe

It seems to be working pretty well, but the ropes are already starting to
loosen up. What about a couple of pieces of steel, bolting it to the dock
like the dock sections are bolted together? I might have to allow it to pivot
up and down, but could eliminate shifts in distance from the dock. It's a
43' houseboat btw.

Dan Krueger

dh@. wrote:
I moved to a different dock to get a better view of the lake.
Now I get a better feel for it too. The waves come right down
between the docks and catch us in the side, creating a lot
of rocking from side to side. Are there any good ways of
reducing this action?

You might look into these:

http://www.dockbuilders.com/tideslide.htm

http://www.slidemoor.com/

Two of each might do the trick. You could use the slidemoor on one side
and tie tight to it and run tight lines to the tideslide on the other side.

Dan
*JimH*

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Dan Krueger wrote:
dh@. wrote:
I moved to a different dock to get a better view of the lake.
Now I get a better feel for it too. The waves come right down
between the docks and catch us in the side, creating a lot
of rocking from side to side. Are there any good ways of
reducing this action?

You might look into these:

http://www.dockbuilders.com/tideslide.htm

http://www.slidemoor.com/

Two of each might do the trick. You could use the slidemoor on one side
and tie tight to it and run tight lines to the tideslide on the other
side.

Dan

There is little more ironic on the internet than "Christian conservatives"
trying to figure out what Jesus would do and then claiming their behavior
towards those who need help fits that model.
Modern "conservative Christianity" is the antithesis of what Jesus taught,
conflicting biblical passages notwithstanding.

Eh?

Joe Grassi

Oh hehe, why didnt u say so in that case ya like what you said would work
with like pivots but also what you could do is why not just some good ol
wire rope, measure what u need to make it nice and tight and get some loops
of wire rope made put them on crank it down and ur set it wont come loose
and there is nothing to worry about... Or the other thing u could do is get
two cheap winches from Harbor Freight install them on the deck of your house
boat and have a loop in the end of the wire rope and put them over the
cleats at the pier and winch your self nice and tight to the pier and u
could do the same for where ever your house boat travels take u.

Joe