BoatBanter.com

-   -   Jet Ski overheating problem (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/61818-jet-ski-overheating-problem.html)

Bill McKee November 11th 05 10:13 PM

For Bill McKee... Hey! Look Everybody

"DSK" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
Then why do sailboats come within 15' of a boat drift fishing? Or even
anchored?

When was the last time a sailboat did so at 20+ knots? When was the last
time a sailboat made a large wake too close to another boat? Obviously
part of your problem is resentment against sailboats.

Personally, as a curtesy I keep away from boats that are fishing. For one
thing, I don't like monofilament wrapped around my keel or rudder. If our
course is such that I have a reason to pass them close, like say for
example they pulled to a stop and thew lines out right in front of me
(which has happened dozens of times) then I will try to pass them to
leeward where the lines are not.

I have even given up a place in a race once or twice to give reasonable
passing distance for fishing boats, although I know a number of other
racers are far less curteous.

Now what do you suggest about fishermen who think that a racing mark makes
a handy place to tie up & fish a while, then scream bloody murder at the
sailboats as they zip by very close (6" is about right).

DSK

Lot of 10 knot boats in SF bay.

Bert Robbins November 12th 05 01:24 PM

For Bill McKee... is your motor running?

"Jim Carter" wrote in message

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Bill McKee wrote:
So you figure the boat is a sailboat if the sails are up and the
motor

is
running in neutral? Bzzt! wrong.

I think I see where Bill M gets his wrong idea

Here
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknow...ing/6_2_b1.htm

it says "Note: when a sailboat has its motor running, it is considered a
power driven vessel"

But that is not correct. If you look almost anywhere else

https://www.boater101.com/Course/doc...Manual2004.pdf

http://www.cruising.ca/docs/colreg.html
"A sailboat propelled by machinery is a Motorboat (including

motorsailing)."

http://www.auxetrain.org/colregs.html
"(b) The term "power driven vessel" means any vessel propelled by

machinery.

(c) The term "sailing vessel" means any vessel under sail provided that
propelling machinery, if fitted, is not being used."

And this is either the official wording or pretty darn close.

http://www.boats.com/reeds/jsp/rn_ch_1_i_a.jsp#a5

http://www.dirauxwest.org/NavRules/colregs.htm

Now pay attention... a power vessel is propelled by machinery. In other
words, engine running, in gear. A sailing vessel may be "using" her
engine for ballast if the thing hasn't run in 10 years, but it is NOT
propelling the boat.

In other words, if the engine of a sailboat is propelling the vessel,
whether her sails are up or not, she is a power vessel with regard to
the ColRegs. If the engine is running but out of gear, charging the
batteries, heating the water for a shower, making a smokescreen... if
the engine is not propelling the boat, in either forward or reverse, it
is a sailing vessel.

See
http://www.ansa.org/training/ROR-200...planations.pdf

You're welcome.

Doug King

PS I really don't expect any of the hard-core motorheads to admit
they're wrong, they never do. But that doesn't change the facts & I hope
they don't kill somebody trying to prove it.

Thanks Doug. I just don't understand how Bill could not be able to
understand the Collision Regulations. Perhaps he has dyslexia. That
would explain his lack of comprehension.

Jim C.

Now you idiots know why there are admiralty courts. Your interpretation of
the rules, regulations and laws differs from Bill's and it isn't going to be
resolved here.

But, if the rag merchant has sails up and the engine running regardless of
whether it is in neutral or not he is a powerboat due to the fact that
propelling machinery can be used to avoid the collision.

Jim Carter November 12th 05 02:11 PM

For Bill McKee... is your motor running?

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message
. ..
Now you idiots know why there are admiralty courts. Your interpretation of
the rules, regulations and laws differs from Bill's and it isn't going to

be
resolved here.

But, if the rag merchant has sails up and the engine running regardless of
whether it is in neutral or not he is a powerboat due to the fact that
propelling machinery can be used to avoid the collision.

Good Morning Bert. Do you also have problems with reading the Collision
Regulations? Do you not have a copy of them so you could read it yourself?

The definitions of "sailing vessel" has been established by the Admiralty
Courts and their ruling is in place in the Collision Regulations for all to
see.

Jim C.

Don White November 12th 05 02:53 PM

Bert Robbins wrote:

Now you idiots know why there are admiralty courts. Your interpretation of
the rules, regulations and laws differs from Bill's and it isn't going to be
resolved here.

But, if the rag merchant has sails up and the engine running regardless of
whether it is in neutral or not he is a powerboat due to the fact that
propelling machinery can be used to avoid the collision.

Is this still going on?
Unless I'm mistaken...the sailboat that got Bile Bill all in a tizzy was
a Hobie Cat...which doesn't usually carry an outboard.
If anyone has his full personal details, they should forward it to the
closest US Power Squadron. He's an accident waiting to happen on his
home waters. For the sake of fellow boaters everywhere...let's get this
character educated.

Bill McKee November 13th 05 02:39 AM

"Don White" wrote in message
Bert Robbins wrote:

Now you idiots know why there are admiralty courts. Your interpretation
of the rules, regulations and laws differs from Bill's and it isn't going
to be resolved here.

But, if the rag merchant has sails up and the engine running regardless
of whether it is in neutral or not he is a powerboat due to the fact that
propelling machinery can be used to avoid the collision.

Is this still going on?
Unless I'm mistaken...the sailboat that got Bile Bill all in a tizzy was a
Hobie Cat...which doesn't usually carry an outboard.
If anyone has his full personal details, they should forward it to the
closest US Power Squadron. He's an accident waiting to happen on his home
waters. For the sake of fellow boaters everywhere...let's get this
character educated.

You are wrong on engine running not being a power boat and the type of
sailboat that nearly hit me. Was an about 25' boat, coming out of a side
channel on the motor. Putting up sails and motor is still running and makes
a 90 degree turn almost into me. Get your facts straight!

Bill McKee November 14th 05 02:01 AM

Jet Ski overheating problem

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Matt Colie
wrote:

Peter,
Please do not encourage him. Trying to teach a pig to sing.....
He has only just started to read Colregs and then only the parts he
wants.

Yeah, ok. I was going to ask him where on the planet you're allowed to
drive at 200 to 300 mph a couple feet away from a vehicle travelling at
50 mph, but that'd no doubt go over his head too.

Let's hope he argues with a big ship.

PDW

Planet Earth. And I am not a sailboater, so know I do not have the "right
of way" over large ships.

DSK November 14th 05 04:16 AM

Bert Robbins wrote:
But, if the rag merchant has sails up and the engine running regardless of
whether it is in neutral or not he is a powerboat due to the fact that
propelling machinery can be used to avoid the collision.

Hmm... and if a sailboat has an engine in working order, it can be
started by turning the key to avoid a collision.

A sailboat with an engine that doesn't work should get it fixed, so a
collision that could have been avoided by using it is (according to your
stupid theory) *still* at fault.

A sailboat with no engine installed and no possible way to have one
whould be banned from the water, since clearly having an engine is vital
for avoiding collisions, therefor they can be run down with impunity.

In other words, you're wrong.

If the boat's engine is running *and in gear* the according to the
rules, it is a powerboat.

DSK

otnmbrd November 14th 05 05:29 AM

Jet Ski overheating problem

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

Planet Earth. And I am not a sailboater, so know I do not have the "right
of way" over large ships.

Mebbe, mebbe not.

otn

Jim Carter November 14th 05 09:01 AM

For Bill McKee... is your motor running?

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Bert Robbins wrote:
[...]

Bert and Bill = dumb and dumber.