John

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

That's a good point Dave. People don't seem to have a problem with loud
boats, just loud jetskis. Why is that?

I operate my jetski the same way that I operate my boat. I stay in my
space and have no reason to invade other people's space. Just like
power boater's have to deal with a sail barge's lack of
maneuverability, you have to deal with an engine's byproduct, noise.
You don't like it, don't sail. Feel free to complain. In the same way
that's it's legal for you to inconvenience every other boat around you
because of a sail boat's right of way, boats will continue to legally
make noise.

Like Butch said, it's about the few operators that are causing the
problem. Barb's ignorant remarks show her frame of mind when it comes
to jetskis. The noise is an excuse to complain about something you
don't like, jetskis. Dave said it all when he pointed out how noisey
some boats are too. Some boats are a lot louder and faster than a
jetski. Why no outrage from Barb about those boats? If you have
complained, please point us to the newsgroup post where you complained
about loud boats?

If your dog doesn't like jetskis, then don't take your dog on your
sailboat. If I said your flapping sails scare my dog, would you drop
your sails? Of course you wouldn't. Your elititst attitude would tell
me that my dog had to deal with it. That's how ridiculous your
arguement sounds. I don't ask people to curtail their recreational
activities because it will inconvenience my pet. I love my dog enough
to not take somewhere where he wouldn't be exposed to that kind
activity.

I love my dog, but like your dog it's a pet. I would never ask someone
to stop their recreational activity because it was inconveniencing my
dog. People come first. By the way Barb your dog is not a person, it's
a pet. Sorry to break the bad news to you. Or, are you one of those
disfunctional people that thinks your dog is a person?

Barb's blanket generalizations about jetskis more than show how
ignorant she is. I see just as many boats as I do jetskis acting like
asses on the water. All of my kids ride jetskis and they know they will
lose ride time for acting inappropriately.

Great post John...the fact is that there is no real distinction between
pwc'ers and boaters, the first are simply a subset of the former (with
lots of people in the intersection of both groups - in other words they
have and love both pwc's and larger boats). Both groups have an
enormous amount in common (both love the water, the outdoors, the
beach, cruising, and both have responsibilities on the water, must
learn navigation and the rules of the road, how to maintain and repair
their vehicles and operate them safely, all safety procedures and
precautions, how to use equipment like vhf's, gps's, charts, both have
to avoid going aground, know the tides and watch the weather, it goes
on and on). Furthermore, both groups contain mostly responsible,
intelligent recreationalists and also lots of stupid, reckless,
inconsiderate idiots who don't know or care about the rules, the law,
the right thing to do, or their fellow boaters. Even further, BOTH
groups have to deal with stereotypes, ignorance and jealousy from
outsiders who don't really know much about the except that they don't
like 'em. The only real guaranteed difference between a pwc'er and a
non-pwc boater is in the size and shape of their vessels - you can't
tell anything else about 'em as people from just that.

richforman

Jonathan Ganz

In article .com,
John wrote:
Not to mention the times we've
been at anchor and they scream around our boat just to get a rise out

of our little dog who hates the noise they make.

Are you really that self centered to think that other people really
give a **** about your dog's reaction? You can't be serious.

I've seen similar in this area. Some bozo on a jetski doing donuts
around a boat at anchor with a dog barking its head off. There was no
other reason for the guy doing it. I'm sure he thought it was equally
funny when the local sherrif gave him a ticket for going over the 5mph
posted speed limit.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:
Great post John...the fact is that there is no real distinction between
pwc'ers and boaters, the first are simply a subset of the former (with
lots of people in the intersection of both groups - in other words they
have and love both pwc's and larger boats). Both groups have an
enormous amount in common (both love the water, the outdoors, the
beach, cruising,

Really? I would suggest that what PWC'ers and loud speedboaters love is
attracting attention to themselves, and going fast.

Of course, 'going fast' is best done out of doors, but other than that
there is no intrinsic love of nature involved. Not at all.

How the hell do you know? How the **** would you know whether I or my
friends
love nature, what would give you the insight to think that the only
reason I love the outdorrs is that's
the only place I can "go fast"?

DSK you are dead wrong and just engaging in ignorant stereotyping. I
can tell
you you have us pwc'ers pegged ALL wrong.

Sure, "going fast" is part of the fun, but just a small part. In the
course of an day of riding my waverunner, I might do a few brief "speed
runs" just for the thrill of it and to see how my boat's performing,
but most of the day will be spent doing other things - the same things
any boater does I guess - cruising at a nice mid-level cruising speed
(often with my wife or kids on board, often solo riding along with a
friend on his machine) to get to a favorite beach or restaurant; idling
down a nice long side creek or canal to explore and enjoy the scenery;
tied off at a dock or anchored just off a beach to enjoy a picnic or a
relaxing break; or best of all, riding outside on the ocean and
enjoying the spectacular view of the beach, the sky and the sunlit
water....or, very often doing a long-distance or overnight
destination/travel cruise (have ridden from Florida to the Bahamas;
from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West and back over a week staying on a
different key each night; from Riverhead, NY to Newport, RI for an
overnighter with the wife; from Smithtown, NY to 50 miles up the
Connecticut River for a stay at a b & b also with the wife; from
Sayville, NY to Atlantic City for a mulit-day stay there; from Cold
Spring Harbor, LI up the Hudson River to Catskill, NY on a 200+ pwcer'
group ride/poker run to stay overnight and party there; to Block
Island; staying in the Thousand Islands in Alexandria Bay with my 'ski
tied up at the dock and spending four days with my wife exploring the
St. Lawrence River on the water all day long; and more, with more trips
and rides planned all the time.)....anyway....it's called BOATING,
that's what it is, that's what I do with my pwc's, and that's why there
is no doubt that I am as much a boater in exactly the same way as
anybody with a bigger boat.....and for the same reasons....the love of
being on the water, out in the sunshine (or the rain, or the cold
overcast sky in early spring through late fall), enjoying beaches,
islands, waterways....yes, loving and enjoying nature and the outdoors
exactly as I said.

There is no desire to "bring attention" to myself involved in any of my
pwc'ing, just to have fun with friends and family and enjoy the outdoor
recreation I love. And by the way I ride with many other fellow pwc
enthusiasts and they all enjoy the same kinds of activities I listed a
moment ago. I describe them to make the point that you are apparently
basing your statements on outdated ignorant stereotypes if you think
that "jetskiing" is just about making runs back and forth along the
beach spraying people, "doing donuts" and showboating, I can tell you
from extensive personal experience that you are mistaken.

... The only real guaranteed difference between a pwc'er and a
non-pwc boater is in the size and shape of their vessels - you can't
tell anything else about 'em as people from just that.

Yes, you can tell that they are the type of person who likes a
jet-ski... ie the odds lean toward their being immature & careless, with
a love of attracting attention to themselves and a lack of regard for
others.

Bullslhit DSK...I'm telling you your description doesn't apply to me or
ANY of the
serious pwc enthusiasts I ride with. Lack of regard for others? Just
because you're
riding a pwc? I am respectful of all other boaters out on the water,
fully aware of and respecful of
all the rules of the road and regulations governing my boating
activities; I have to obey the same
laws, face the same risks and all the same nautical issues and
responsibilities that ANY other boater
does....and so is ANY experienced long-term pwc enthusiast, unless
they're just an idiot to begin with I guess.
Sure, a first-timer or rental operator (there are basically no more of
these here in NY state now that
a Boating Safety certification is legally required in order to operate
a pwc on NYS waters) is going to be
a lot more clueless and careless, and since pwc's are easier to begin
operating, and more affordable than larger boats,
it is true that it is easier for an idiot to get one or get onto one
than traditional boats and go around dong stupid things. But just like
with anything else, if they are serious about it and stay with it, they
will learn as they go along and before you know it, become courteous,
knowledgeable responsible boaters like anybody else out on the water
should.

It's not necessarily true that they are, but the odds are if they didn't
have at least a little of that in their personality, they wouldn't want
a jet-ski in the first place.

Bull****, utter bull****. You sound unbelievably arrogant. You can't
judge anything about
somebody's personality by whether they enjoy riding pwc as a form of
recreation on the water.

I mean, again, yes, there is a fun aspect to going fast on
one....exhiliration....I guess this
"part of someone's personality" can also contribute to them enjoying
waterskiing, riding in any
kind of power boat, surfing, millions of other recreational activities.
Is there something inherently
wrong with enjoying a little speed?

You obviously know NOTHING about pwc'ing or pwc'ers except for some
long-harbored grudge and prejudice.
I take your statements as personal insults and lies about me and my
friends
Again, I am glad to note that I don't encounter that kind of toxic,
mean-spritied attitude from actual
boaters I meet out on the water where we all share our enjoyment of
boating - only from virtual/online/newsgroup
boaters.

I am sure you've encountered idiotic clueless reckless pwc'ers doing
dopey things endangering themselves and others. Just as you and I have
on all kinds of bigger recreational boats....all the time, every
weekend.

richforman

dh@.

On 26 Oct 2005 18:54:01 -0700, "ladysailor" wrote:

I have no sympathy for the jet ski enthustiast. Too many times I've
been in a tight situation on a sail boat when these dick heads think
it's funny to ride doughnuts around us. Not to mention the times we've
been at anchor and they scream around our boat just to get a rise out
of our little dog who hates the noise they make.

I'm with the dog, I don't like the noise either!

Lady Sailor

Sometimes sailboats are a pain in the ass too. I've gotten
chapped at more than one of them in my houseboat. I'm willing
to bet you've been cussed a few times yourself.
dh@.

On 23 Oct 2005 22:02:49 -0700, "John" wrote:

Most of the elitist geniuses here don't know how to care for their own
boats. They're too busy wishing their wives would let them have a
jetski. The last two posts shows you the quality of advice here.
You'll have better luck at rec.sport.jetski.

John

Thanks.
John

Rich, I haven't see you post in a long time. We moved from Long Island
last year and live in Arizona now. Nice to see you're still here. Seems
like rec.sport.jetski has died off. I ran into Laszlo here last week.

Jonathon, you are absolutely correct, the guy you saw was an asshole
and was rewarded with a ticket for speeding in a 5MPH zone. He deserved
it.

DSK, it's your words I'm quoting here - "there is no intrinsic love of
nature involved. Not at all." And how exactly would you know that? How
do you know what I like?

Well DSK, How many tons of fiberglass surround you when you boat? How
far are you from the water physically when you're at the helm? When
boating, you can't get much closer to nature than when you're on a
jetski. Can you take your boat into the shallow salt marshes and
checkout nature with your boat? Rich knows how much life exists in Long
Islands salt marshes. My kids have spent many hours back there
exploring, learning and respecting nature from their jetskis.
What's wrong with going fast? Your boat doesn't go fast? If it's a
power boat, did you order the smallest possible engine with it? You're
a nature lover, so have you traded in your power boat for a sail boat?
Less emissions. If you have a sail boat, do you use the least amount of
sail to maintain headway? Remember? you dont like speed.
Dave, I agree with you, jetskiers have the same rights as boaters do on
the water. They pay fees and taxes just like boaters do.

So you think jetskiers aren't courteous. Dave made some good points
about wakes. When boater's see a jetskier who's flipped his ski over
and fallen off, what do you guys do? Do you stop to see if they're ok?
Do you even slow down so they don't get hit with your wake as they are
trying to reboard a bobbing 800 lb. jetski? Meanwhile, if you saw a
boat in trouble with people in the water with PFD's on, you'd race over
to help. If they get hurt reboarding because of your wake, would you
care? Or would you go faster to kick up a bigger wake? Guess what,
because I am a jetskier as well as a boater, I slow down and have
stopped when I see people having trouble reboarding. Even though the
law states that you are responsible for your wake, do you slow down?
Anyone remember last month's ferry wake incident in Lake George? Not
many people thought that wake was funny.

Meanwhile, the outrage here is for a barking dog, not a potential
injury to a jetskier in the water. Now feel free to tell me who is
"immature", "careless", and "mindless" "dick head". (DSK's and Barb's
words, not mine)

I didn't accumilate 600 trouble free hours on my jetski by riding crazy
and abusing it. I have travelled the entire southshore of Long Island,
fron NY harbor to Montalk point with my jetski as well as my boat.
Blanket statements concerning the entire jetski community based on the
actions of the few are irresponsible and ignorant.

John

ladysailor

No d, I can't say that we've ever been cussed at. But then, we don't
go out of our way to **** people off by buzzing around them, cutting
them off and racing through marina's causing large wakes.

Barb
www.sailinglinks.com

Rich, I haven't see you post in a long time. We moved from Long Island
last year and live in Arizona now. Nice to see you're still here. Seems
like rec.sport.jetski has died off. I ran into Laszlo here last week.

Thanks for the shout-out John, I have to embarrassedly admit I'm not
sure who
I'm talking to here, do I know you from RL or just from newsgroup posts
etc?
RSJ died out a long time ago, but if you've never discovered them,
there are some
other very active, fun, useful pwc-related forums that I post regularly
on (and a lot
of smarter pwc people post more frequently than I do), the main one is
pwctoday.com
and also www.sea-doo.net, they more than fill the void left by the old
RSJ.

I usually just lurk in the boating ng's but DSK's brilliant comments
coaxed me out of my
shell there.

richforman