Tim Garland

Default wrsi helmets

Does anyone have any experience with WRSI kayak helmets?
Comfortable?
Are they adjustable?
Are they suitable for a longish skull. (I do not have a round head.)
What is customer service like?

Bill Tuthill

Tim Garland wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with WRSI kayak helmets?
Comfortable?
Are they adjustable?
Are they suitable for a longish skull. (I do not have a round head.)
What is customer service like?

There are threads about this on Boatertalk and other discussion boards.

Last week there was an NPR story about Gil Turner, whose son died
kayaking the North Fork Payette, leading Gil to found this company.
They worked with Johns Hopkins University to research helmet design.
Their website has a challenge to Protec that seems legally inadvisable
to me, though I'm no laywer.

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/helmet_recall.html

My opinion is that WRSI helmets should have more ear and cortex protection
than they do. My Protec has saved me at least four times, and one time
was a sharp blow to the right ear.

I think it would be difficult for anyone to answer your questions Tim,
because the WRSI helmet has not started shipping, last I heard.

Steve Cramer

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Tim Garland wrote:

[...]

They are accepting orders, but I don't think I'd order one without
knowing more. When they first started up after Lucas died, what, 5 years
ago? they were foaming a good bit about Protecs. I emailed them for more
information, like other cases where paddlers were injured wearing
Protecs, but I never heard anything back. I agree, Bill, that a helmet
that's supposed to be super safe really ought to be a full head, or even
a full face, helmet, not a shorty.

Steve

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA
KMAN

in article , Steve Cramer at
wrote on 10/17/05 9:19 PM:

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Tim Garland wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you need a hockey helmet with a full cage!

Senators still undefeated, hoo-aaa!

Larry C

Tim Garland wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with WRSI kayak helmets?
Comfortable?
Are they adjustable?
Are they suitable for a longish skull. (I do not have a round head.)
What is customer service like?

Tim,

As of right now, no one has experience with WRSI kayak helmets, because
despite all the hype, none have hit the market. As for customer
service, well, none of the helmets have hit the market.

I'm very skeptical of the "worlds safest helmet". One is that it isn't
full coverage, so that automatically takes it out of the safest helmet
competition IMO. Although there has been a lot of hype about the
research that went into this helmet, from my reading of all the stories
that have come out on this helmet, the parameters and the standards
were set by the guy's father that died on the North Fork Payette.
Whether they have any resemblence to reality is anyones guess. The
firehose test is nice marketing but I haven't ever seen anything on the
river the would replicate that condition.

While I like the multi layer foam, which is basically a copy of some
Swiss made skiing and motorcycle helmets, nothing else really grabs me.

Brian Nystrom

Larry C wrote:
Tim Garland wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with WRSI kayak helmets?
Comfortable?
Are they adjustable?
Are they suitable for a longish skull. (I do not have a round head.)
What is customer service like?

Tim,

As of right now, no one has experience with WRSI kayak helmets, because
despite all the hype, none have hit the market. As for customer
service, well, none of the helmets have hit the market.

How many people are gonna' die waiting for this helmet to come out!? ;-)

I agree that it's more hype than substance and more about getting
"revenge" on ProTec than about safety. One thing I was taught a long
time ago was that going into business with the intent of driving someone
else out is a recipe for failure.
GaryJ

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Tim Garland wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with WRSI kayak helmets?
Comfortable?
Are they adjustable?
Are they suitable for a longish skull. (I do not have a round head.)

I also have an oval head, and my Cascade is OK in that way (although it could be
better). On a long day I do notice that it could be longer.

My opinion is that WRSI helmets should have more ear and cortex protection
than they do. My Protec has saved me at least four times, and one time
was a sharp blow to the right ear.

I like the full side and rear protection of the Cascade. It feels much more
solid than the common Protec that is widely used.

(I thought it was the other way around, but apparently the Cascade was built for
water sports but later converted for lacrosse--and that is a sport where you
need a serious brain bucket!)

GaryJ

--
Archive for the alternate timeline: France Stays in the War
http://users.domaindlx.com/fantasque/index.htm