Steve Cramer

Default wrsi helmets

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Tim Garland wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with WRSI kayak helmets?
Comfortable?
Are they adjustable?
Are they suitable for a longish skull. (I do not have a round head.)
What is customer service like?

There are threads about this on Boatertalk and other discussion boards.

Last week there was an NPR story about Gil Turner, whose son died
kayaking the North Fork Payette, leading Gil to found this company.
They worked with Johns Hopkins University to research helmet design.
Their website has a challenge to Protec that seems legally inadvisable
to me, though I'm no laywer.

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/helmet_recall.html

My opinion is that WRSI helmets should have more ear and cortex protection
than they do. My Protec has saved me at least four times, and one time
was a sharp blow to the right ear.

I think it would be difficult for anyone to answer your questions Tim,
because the WRSI helmet has not started shipping, last I heard.

They are accepting orders, but I don't think I'd order one without
knowing more. When they first started up after Lucas died, what, 5 years
ago? they were foaming a good bit about Protecs. I emailed them for more
information, like other cases where paddlers were injured wearing
Protecs, but I never heard anything back. I agree, Bill, that a helmet
that's supposed to be super safe really ought to be a full head, or even
a full face, helmet, not a shorty.

Steve

--
Steve Cramer