Bill McKee

Default Coming To A Boat Near You?

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:27:50 -0400, DSK wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
One of my neighbors used to be involved in the greyhound rescue system
and he had several who could do 35.

That would be illegal on 2 counts!

They are unbelievably fast. At our local dog park, when the dogs are
running around in frantic circles, the whippets & greyhounds are running
rings around the whole pack. A friend of mine was claiming that his dog
(some kind of small shepherd breed) was faster than a whippet... not so,
the whippets ran rings around his dog too.

I had a whippet when I was a kid - great little dogs.

He must be a liberal, after all arent' they the guys who call names?

I think it was more of a reaction to the possibility of being told to
do something that apparently bothers him.

No worries.

Personally, I don't think PFDs should be made mandatory.
1- it's just welfare for PFD makers

That's a good point I suppose, but then again, seat belts are welfare
for nylon webbing manufacturers no to mention air bags which quite
possibly are the most criminal act of government do gooderism.

2- there is no possibility that the world can ever be made totally
idiot-proof

Also true - unfortunately.

3- there are plenty of other laws to keep police busy

Also true - three in a row!!!

Not to mention that there aren't enough police officers as it is.

But the gov't has to do something... just to prove it can, I guess...
and sooner or later they'll get around to making everything forbidden,
unless it's made compulsory. And of course it will change with every new
Administration.

Yep.

I'll admit it's a damned if you do/damned if you don't kind of thing -
one step over the line - falling dominoes, etc...

But based on my own experiences, both falling off a boat
unintentionally twice and that experience I related earlier (I
recovered one body myself in a sweep and I was on the boat when we
found the second body) which haunts me to no end, I'm on the side of
wearing one period while underway - I'm not boorish enough to insist
on wearing one if below making dinner or such.

This summer, we had the perfect case on the Connecticut River - guys
heading back in a 18 foot Aquasport, operator drunk on his ass and ran
right into the #33 can right below Portland Bridge. All thrown out of
the boat, two unconscious, one saved by buddy holding him out of the
water until one of the residents along the river got to them, other
guy drowned.

I've got to believe that these aren't isolated incidents nationwide -
if it's happening in Connecticut, it has to be happening other places.

I know you can't help stupidity and that's what insurance is for,
etc., but still - you got to wonder.

But the body I recovered, drowned when he fell off a dock trying to climb
down to unsnag a fish. Make people on docks wear PFD's?

Bill McKee

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 02:42:40 GMT, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

But the body I recovered, drowned when he fell off a dock trying to climb
down to unsnag a fish. Make people on docks wear PFD's?

Yes because I've seen it happen.

He conked the noggin while doing a stupid thing. We can not protect
everyone from doing stupid things.
Did see a neat license plate frame while in June Lake this weekend. "Sorry,
I was having a senior moment"

american marine 23???? jds General 8 October 13th 05 01:45 AM
Baltik inflatable Kevin Despot General 6 October 10th 05 07:01 PM
How to Bow Mount a Trolling Motor on a Center Console? [email protected] General 13 October 6th 05 04:33 PM
Seattle Racing Boat for Charter in Hawaii (Chuck!) [email protected] General 3 October 5th 05 02:40 PM
Help: I sale my beautiful boat (year 1881) Propaganda General 2 October 5th 05 02:09 PM