Eisboch

Default Horrible boating accident

Most were elderly. Cause is suspected to be the wake from a larger, passing
boat.

But 48 or 49 people on a 40 ft boat?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051003/...oat_overturned

Eisboch

Doug Kanter

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Most were elderly. Cause is suspected to be the wake from a larger,
passing boat.

But 48 or 49 people on a 40 ft boat?

Seems excessive. And, why travel that far to see leaves changing color? They
could've headed North in Michigan.

Jim Carter

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Most were elderly. Cause is suspected to be the wake from a larger,

passing
boat.
But 48 or 49 people on a 40 ft boat?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051003/...oat_overturned
Eisboch

How could this happen on a calm lake? No waves or wind action at all. Does
anyone have the details?

Jim

Doug Kanter

"Jim Carter" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Most were elderly. Cause is suspected to be the wake from a larger,

passing
boat.
But 48 or 49 people on a 40 ft boat?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051003/...oat_overturned
Eisboch

How could this happen on a calm lake? No waves or wind action at all.
Does
anyone have the details?

Jim

My parents had a 47 ft Concord many years ago. If the whole family (2
adults, 2 teens, 1 litle kid) stood on one side, the boat leaned very
slightly. This is conjecture, but 48 people on a 40 ft boat, with unknown
hull design, big wake (maybe) from another boat, and passengers perhaps on
an uppper deck...who knows what might happen? It'll be interesting to see
how this story develops.

*JimH*

"Jim Carter" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Most were elderly. Cause is suspected to be the wake from a larger,

passing
boat.
But 48 or 49 people on a 40 ft boat?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051003/...oat_overturned
Eisboch

How could this happen on a calm lake? No waves or wind action at all.
Does
anyone have the details?

Jim

========================
The accident on Lake George may have occurred when the boat was hit by the
wake of a larger vessel, Warren County Sheriff Larry Cleveland said.
============================

trainfan1

Doug Kanter wrote:

My parents had a 47 ft Concord many years ago. If the whole family (2
adults, 2 teens, 1 litle kid) stood on one side, the boat leaned very
slightly. This is conjecture, but 48 people on a 40 ft boat, with unknown
hull design, big wake (maybe) from another boat, and passengers perhaps on
an uppper deck...who knows what might happen? It'll be interesting to see
how this story develops.

Here's the boat:

http://www.lakegeorgeshoreline.com/b...thanallen.html

Rob
Eisboch

"trainfan1" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

My parents had a 47 ft Concord many years ago. If the whole family (2
adults, 2 teens, 1 litle kid) stood on one side, the boat leaned very
slightly. This is conjecture, but 48 people on a 40 ft boat, with unknown
hull design, big wake (maybe) from another boat, and passengers perhaps
on an uppper deck...who knows what might happen? It'll be interesting to
see how this story develops.

Here's the boat:

http://www.lakegeorgeshoreline.com/b...thanallen.html

Rob

You know, although I read that the official capacity of this boat was 50
people, it just doesn't look like it should be rated that high.

My boat's official LOA is just over 52' and has a 15' beam. The maximum
number of people I've ever had on it while underway was twenty-one that
included me, Mrs. E. and my brother as crew and, sixteen 10-16 year olds
from a local home for mentally challenged kids, plus two adult chaperones
from the home. We were checked out by the local USCG before getting underway
and escorted by them and the local harbormaster boats during the one hour
cruise. It was a boatfull of people on a 52' boat.

I can't imagine having more than double that many people on it while
underway on a boat that is 12 feet smaller.

Eisboch

Mr. Skip Starbuck

Eisboch,
Obviously you are correct, or the boat would hot have overturned, but their
is a big difference between your boat and this "cruise boat". This "cruise
boat" is nothing more than rows of seats for the tourist.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"trainfan1" wrote in message

[...]

John

A few years ago, my wife and I took our jetskis up to Lake George. We
launched at the south end of the lake and headed north. On the way, we
passed a ferry/day cruise kind of boat. It was close to 200' long with
a whole lotta beam.

The wake from that boat was tremendous. I can imagine a fully loaded
boat having a problem negotiating that wake.
John

Curtis CCR

Jim Carter wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
Most were elderly. Cause is suspected to be the wake from a larger,

passing
boat.
But 48 or 49 people on a 40 ft boat?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051003/...oat_overturned
Eisboch

How could this happen on a calm lake? No waves or wind action at all. Does
anyone have the details?

Initial reports say it was hit by the wake of a larger tour boat. If
this turns out to be true, look for the operator of that larger boat to
pay dearly.