ToneJohn

Default Can't clean my pipes... exhaust, that is

I just posted and tried the info given.. Have a Mercruise 5.7 L engine..
The exhaust flaps on one side were burnt off. I know there is a jam on the
one side because all of the water comes out on the other side, plus i can
spray water up from the out drive on the one side but not the other. Here
is what i have tried to free the debris 1) spray water down the exhaust pipe
on both sides 2) spray water up the pipe from under the out drive 3) tried a
pressure washer also. My hand only goes down to where the pipe bends and
connects from the other side....

Suggestions please...

THANKS! ! !

JamesgangNC

Try something flexible that you can push up the relief hole that is clogged.
Maybe a big piece of the flap is stuck down there.

The only way to get better access is to take off the Y pipe and to do that
you need to pull the engine. Hope it doesn't come to that.

"ToneJohn" wrote in message
I just posted and tried the info given.. Have a Mercruise 5.7 L engine..
The exhaust flaps on one side were burnt off. I know there is a jam on the
one side because all of the water comes out on the other side, plus i can
spray water up from the out drive on the one side but not the other. Here
is what i have tried to free the debris 1) spray water down the exhaust
pipe on both sides 2) spray water up the pipe from under the out drive 3)
tried a pressure washer also. My hand only goes down to where the pipe
bends and connects from the other side....

Suggestions please...

THANKS! ! !

Jeff Rigby

nk.net...

"ToneJohn" wrote in message
I just posted and tried the info given.. Have a Mercruise 5.7 L engine..
The exhaust flaps on one side were burnt off. I know there is a jam on
the one side because all of the water comes out on the other side, plus i
can spray water up from the out drive on the one side but not the other.
Here is what i have tried to free the debris 1) spray water down the
exhaust pipe on both sides 2) spray water up the pipe from under the out
drive 3) tried a pressure washer also. My hand only goes down to where the
pipe bends and connects from the other side....

Suggestions please...

THANKS! ! !

If the flap burned off then there is exhaust but no water! The riser is
where water is directed into the exhausts (there is no Y pipe unless you
have thru the prop exhaust) on both sides of the engine, you need to look at
that and back to where they (the two risers water pipes) join. There is a
valve assembly with two springs that tries to keep an even flow of water out
the two pipes so what happened doesn't happen. This valve causes problems
if stuck or one of the springs breaks.

ToneJohn

Yes, That seems to be the problem. One of the relief holes is clogged thru
the transom plate... I'm going to try to put a hose down there again, there
is no way i'm pullin the engine

If i can't get it i'll run it an see if it gets hot again. if it does then
i'll have to...

thanks for the info! !
ink.net...

"ToneJohn" wrote in message
[...]

Exhaust Flaps Gone & Cleaning Exhaust Pipe from debris, need advice... ToneJohn General 4 October 3rd 05 04:16 AM
Volvo duoprop exhaust question/problem Big Daddy General 0 July 21st 05 04:06 AM
Engine coupler Proxy General 14 July 17th 05 06:13 AM
Exhaust conversion to thru-hull Tan PS General 1 December 28th 03 04:49 PM
Exhaust conversion to thru-hull Tan PS Boat Building 2 December 25th 03 03:58 PM