John Doe

Default Why the word "dead" is not used in the context of deduced navigation

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
(I think somebody is taking a beginning nav course. Will probably need it

if
stepping up from the cartop sail board)

Two references:

From the Dictionary of Nautical Literacy, published by International

Marine ( a
division of McGraw-Hill)

Dead reckoning: The process of determining the position of a vessel by

tracking
course and speed for a given time.
From the phrase, "deduced reckoning", the plot is called a "DR".

According to this source, Jax is half right. The process is called "dead
reckoning", but the hypothetical plot it produces can be called a "deduced
reckoning."

Then there's another source that indicates neither side of the argument

has an
absolute leg to stand on:

From "The Sailor's Illustrated Dictionary"

dead reckoning (DR): The determining of a position by course, speed, and

time
elapsed, but without a fix. A DR position is shownon the chart with a half
cirlce and a dot and the time the vessel was calculated to be in the

position.
With any other information included, such as wind and current, it is

called an
estimated position.
The term "dead reckoning" comes from "deduced reckoning" or "ded.

reckoning",
which later became "dead reckoning."

According to this source, the hypotheticaly correct term realy is ded.
reckoning, (short for deduced). Unlike an assertion that anybody who knew

squat
about navigation would never say "dead reckoning", those who are exposed

to the
practice on an actual basis, in the real world rather than by reading

about
boating, have probably never heard the technique called anything
except "dead reckoning."

Thanks for taking your time to share this information. Though I am not a
world sailor, this is quite interesting. I never knew there was a difference
in terminology regarding dead reckoning.

Best regards

JAXAshby

Thanks for taking your time to share this information. Though I am not a
world sailor, this is quite interesting. I never knew there was a difference
in terminology regarding dead reckoning.

oh yeah, and there is a HUGE difference in the output between Ded and Dead
Reckoning. those who use ded rec are knowledgeable as to its uncertainties,
while those who use dead rec are about to now, or will sometime in the future,
hit the rocks. Assuming they sail at all.
Harry Krause

JAXAshby wrote:

Thanks for taking your time to share this information. Though I am not a
world sailor, this is quite interesting. I never knew there was a difference
in terminology regarding dead reckoning.

oh yeah, and there is a HUGE difference in the output between Ded and Dead
Reckoning. those who use ded rec are knowledgeable as to its uncertainties,
while those who use dead rec are about to now, or will sometime in the future,
hit the rocks. Assuming they sail at all.

Give it up, Jax. You've got a ****ty little clapped out daysailer, and
probably couldn't navigate from Milford to Port Jefferson on a bright
sunny day with the Port Jeff stacks puffing.

John Doe

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Thanks for taking your time to share this information. Though I am not a
world sailor, this is quite interesting. I never knew there was a

difference
in terminology regarding dead reckoning.

oh yeah, and there is a HUGE difference in the output between Ded and Dead
Reckoning. those who use ded rec are knowledgeable as to its

uncertainties,
while those who use dead rec are about to now, or will sometime in the

future,
hit the rocks. Assuming they sail at all.

As I said, I am not a world sailor. I rely on GPS and an accurate compass to
take me home. But then again, I am not more than 25 miles or so off shore.
However, I have heard the term used and assumed wrongly that it meant exact
knowledge of position. My hobby happens to be history and the old letters
and books I have read refer to dead reckoning of a position or course. This
thread is quite enlightening giving me a better understanding of the
intended words.

Thanks to all

JAXAshby

As I said, I am not a world sailor. I rely on GPS and an accurate compass to
take me home.

enjoy, john. and don't worry about it, for in today's world there is no reason
not to have a gps or two onboard if there is any remote chance of needing it.
John Gaquin

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

The following of some of the definitions of the word "dead" and each shows

why
the word is not used in the context of the guestimated, vague navigation

called
Ded(uced) Reckoning:

Both dead reckoning and ded reckoning are considered acceptable in common
daily usage, jax.

I might also point out that the method in question is not nearly so
guestimated and vague as you state. Successful DR navigation depends
largely on 1) accurate and detailed planning; 2) careful and accurate
boat handling; and is also affected by 3) unanticipated factors, which can
be ameliorated to some extent by (1).

JAXAshby

Both dead reckoning and ded reckoning are considered acceptable in common
daily usage, jax.

lots of things are in common usage, but that make the usage correct in its
statement that "dead" reckoning is accurate. it is not. it IS "deduced"
reckoning, and with all that that implies.
Harry Krause

JAXAshby wrote:

Both dead reckoning and ded reckoning are considered acceptable in common
daily usage, jax.

lots of things are in common usage...

But your brain is not among these things, Jax. Perhaps you should just
be satisifed with your lot in life...a rejected Speedo bathing suit
model wannabe.

BTW, how's that crappy little 26' sailboat of yours...did it sink at the
dock...again?