Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Claude Bolduc

Default Cavitation problem

Hi
I got a 20 Lund Alaskan with a 50 hp Honda.

The problem is that the prop loses its bite when there is any chop in
the water (2' seas). The RPM will run up to 6500 and I (quickly) have
to back it up to about 3000 before it gets it bite again. A real
pain. The Transom height is lined up with the plane. The motor has
been maintained. The Prop is an 11.2 X 12.

The Advise I got so far is:
The Lund rep told me the engine size is too small and for that boat it
should be 75 hp min. Which I guess is what they come with now. It's
rated for up to 120 hp

Was told that a different prop size may help.

The boat will get up to 30 when empty which is more than enough for
me.
The problem is more prevalent when its got a load (800 lbs) (I lug a
lot of stuff with it).

If the problem could be fixed with a prop that does not lose its bit I
would probally opt for that since speed is not big a factor as cost of
a new engine.

Thanks for the ideas

Claude