Ignoramus11219

Default [PIX] Tree in my yard EXPLODED when hit by LIGHTNING

In article , noah wrote:
On 8 Jul 2003 13:38:19 GMT, Ignoramus10133
wrote:

In article , Charles wrote:
I,

Yea, those are some impressive pics. The tree may survive, but it really
isn't likely. If it's not already dying, bugs will probably kill it off.

Remember that it is an oak. I just spoke to the former owner of my
house, and he said that 15 years ago, a lightning struck another oak
on that property. The fire dept told him that the tree was dead. In
fact, it was not dead and is doing great after 15 years.

So my feeling is that there is a lot of chances for the tree to live.

What I really appreciate is that the lightning dit not travel through
my boat's fuel tank,which holds 52 gallons of gasoline.

It is very possible for a large tree to survive a lightning strike,
oak in particular, since many common borer insects don't have much of
an appetite for oak. If you are interested in saving it, call your
local tree guy. Removal of loose bark around the "wound", and
treatment of the exposed wood, will help it bounce back. It will take
a number of years for the bark to close over the wound.

The tree guy said to wait 2 months before investing anything in the
tree. If it dies, it will be visible.

It is fortunate that your computers didn't get zapped, but it had nothing to
do with the UPS you have. This is an enormous misconception about surge
suppressors and UPS devices. That lightning bolt already traveled a mile or
two through a very good insulator (an air gap). Had those thousands of
volts found their way onto the power feed, phone cable, DSL line,or cable
modem line they would have taken out your PC's. There is nothing, no surge
suppressor, not a whole fleet of surge suppressors or UPS's that can protect
you from a lightning strike. Surge suppressors protect you from surges in
the AC power from the generating facility. UPS's just protect you when
there's a brown or blackout.

Charles

"Ignoramus8786" wrote in message
.com...
The blasts we heard last night were tremendous, ear shattering. Yet my
2 yo son slept through all that! (around 3 am)

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/lightning/

Thankfully, both of my computers were protected by UPSes.

The tree destroyed was a huge 200 year old oak.

Pieces of that oak were strewn 50 yards away.

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

noah

wrote:

In article , Charles wrote:
[...]

Good advice. Bear in mind that the tree may lose its' leaves due to
shock (no pun intended ), and still come back next season.
Good luck with it.
noah

[...]

bb

On 10 Jul 2003 18:00:21 -0500, noah
wrote:

Good advice. Bear in mind that the tree may lose its' leaves due to
shock (no pun intended ), and still come back next season.
Good luck with it.
noah

At this point I'd say it's nothing more than very neatly stacked fire
wood.

I lost my favorite pink grapefruit to a lightning strike a few years
ago. It mysteriously died on us and for several months we just
couldn't figure out what killed it. Eventually a neighbor told us of
watching a bolt of lightning hit it and solved the mystery. Every
year around December we would drink pink grapefruit and vodka. Man,
that was excellent. I sure miss that tree, but I think my liver was
happy to see it go.

bb