JAXAshby

Default Rocket science and ng sailors

a poster by the handle of steve is struggling with the name and function of the
plugs on engines used on commercial fishing boats that need to be cleaned by
the crew the night be sailing. he knows they exist and he knows they are not
cleaned as part of the normal engine tear down and rebuild done after each
trip. he knows the crew does in fact clean them, but he just can't remember
what they are called, nor what their function is.

can someone help steve out here? Does someone know the name and/or function of
these required-to-be-cleaned-the-night-before-sailing plugs on the engine? It
seems a couple of other people also have a blank spot as to the name/function
of these plugs and also would like to know.

Thanks in advance.
JAXAshby

Thanks, JGS for the info. So let's ask the post whose handle is steve what he
meant.

steve, is that what you were trying to say? The Andrea Gail had a pony motor
which needed its plugs cleaned the night before sailing to ensure that the
diesel would start when the boat was at sea?

Gee, steve, I would have though a commercial fishing boat would not shut its
engine down while at sea. Are you telling us, steve, that commercial fishing
boats shut down their engine(s) often while at sea and that getting them
restarted can be problematic?

In that case, by all means clean the plugs. This is after you "tear down the
engine" and do a major overhaul after each trip, as you have prior stated.

Again, thanks to JGS for the infomation.

[...]

I'm not following the thread this topic is being discussed in so
please excuse me if it has already been stated.

Just a wild guess, but here it goes. Large diesel engines require a
pony motor to start them. The pony motors are gasoline engines. The
reference to cleaning plugs may be for the pony motor.

As I said, only a guess. I know gasoline pony motors are used in
commercial mining equipment, bulldozers, large farming tractors,
commercial diesel powered vessels, etc.

A Google search for "pony motor diesel" will give you an idea of the
equipment I am referring too.

Jim

Jax, be careful your reaction does not meet the definition.

Internet troll
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

On the Internet, the term troll is a slang term used to describe a
number of things, traditionally:

1. A post (on a newsgroup, or other forum) thought to be intended to
incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offense.
2. A person who posts these.

The term troll has negative connotations, and is often applied as an
insult. An individual posting honestly-held but controversial opinions
is sometimes mis-labeled as a troll. By contrast, a troll's primary
incentive is generally considered to be the incitement of conflict.

A troll's reactions to being identified as a troll can vary widely
depending on the forum in which the exchange takes place. A person
unjustly accused of being a troll may be hurt and express indignation. A
troll will sometimes react with verbal abuse, raising the stakes with
inflammatory remarks maligning the motivation of the accuser.

JAXAshby wrote:
a poster by the handle of steve is struggling with the name and function of the
plugs on engines used on commercial fishing boats that need to be cleaned by
the crew the night be sailing. he knows they exist and he knows they are not
cleaned as part of the normal engine tear down and rebuild done after each
trip. he knows the crew does in fact clean them, but he just can't remember
what they are called, nor what their function is.

can someone help steve out here? Does someone know the name and/or function of
these required-to-be-cleaned-the-night-before-sailing plugs on the engine? It
seems a couple of other people also have a blank spot as to the name/function
of these plugs and also would like to know.

Thanks in advance.

JAXAshby

jim jim, I was just taking steve's words at face value.

Yes, I am well aware that steve doesn't have much value at face, but I really
did just take him at face value.

So, that makes me a troll? taking steve at his word?

I hadn't thought of it that way.

Richard Rodgers

Assume there was a gas engine.

Why would the crew clean the spark plugs before sailing?

The only time I clean spark plugs is if they are fouled and then ony
until I can get a set of new plugs.

At best the line was added for dramatic effect.

And the statement is still true that Jax assumed spark plug when the
author wrote plugs. That would be the conclusion most attained. That
does not mean thats the only plug it could be. Also what powered the
ice machine? Anyone know?

On 11 Jul 2004 17:46:02 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

jim jim, I was just taking steve's words at face value.

Yes, I am well aware that steve doesn't have much value at face, but I really
did just take him at face value.

So, that makes me a troll? taking steve at his word?

I hadn't thought of it that way.

Shen44

And the statement is still true that Jax assumed spark plug when the
author wrote plugs. That would be the conclusion most attained. That
does not mean thats the only plug it could be. Also what powered the
ice machine? Anyone know?

Don't know. Would bet any refrigeration/ice making capability would be
electrical from the generator.
Many smaller fishing boats load a good amount of ice prior to sailing.
BTW, don't know of any present day diesel setups on fishing boats, using a
Donkey engine to start the main (which is not to say some don't exist) Main
starting source is battery or air.

Shen
JAXAshby

what powered the
ice machine? Anyone know?

Don't know.

of course you don't, shen.
JAXAshby

Jax assumed spark plug when the
author wrote plugs.

actually, not. JAX assumed the author was going for dramatic impact and
stepped wayt beyond his knowlege base.

sorta like shen, but with more native intelligence.