Larry Hill

Default 96 Mercury XR-6 Oil Injection Failure

Just got lucky! Lost my oil injection and managed to shut it down
before any damage. Pulled the pump and saw that the drive gear
(plastic) was chewed up. I just disabled the alarm circuit and
removed the shaft. Cleaned the trash out of the opening and put the
pump back in place and mixed my oil. Runs fine now. Believe it or
not, I only have about 25 hours (at most) on it. Ever since I bought
the engine new, I've had this bad feeling about oil injection. Heard
a lot of horror stories. My advice to everyone...disable it while you
can. If you're lucky (like me) you'll catch it before your engine is
destroyed. And that's all I have to say about that.

I understand Mercury has a recall to replace these gears with either metal or
something stronger.
Larry Hill
Larry

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 20:25:56 -0400, "Maxx1676"
wrote:

Mercury knows about this problem. My gripe is they knew about this problem
10 years ago ! But they sure sell a lot of powerheads.Not hard to figure it
out.

I removed this POS from my 1997 Sport Jet 175 V-6 at about 10 hours
after meeting THREE V-6 sport jet owners who blew the engines. I've
been using 40:1 TC-W3 premix ever since. Smokes just like a
2-stroke......that has LUBRICATION.

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.