Marisa Louise

Default Fabulous Boating Weekend

Just got back home from a super duper weekend of camping and boating.
There were 27 of us, including my Mom, Dad, Brother, Uncles and Aunts,
First & Second Cousins, and Gran even came up for a day.

We had 5 boats and 5 campsites right next to each other on the waters
edge.

A few of us fished early in the morning ( I caught a couple of walleye
and a small northern pike). Went swimming and tubing all afternoon,
and sat by the campfire at night telling jokes, playing cards,
yakking, and just plain having fun.

Would you believe we had brought everything but the kitchen sink and
the only thing we forgot was a camera?

We rafted in a nice quiet bay but only had 1 radio playing a country
and western station (the only station we could get real good. One song
was something about the fish were biting and his wife wanted him to
come home but since the fish were biting she was going to have to go.
(That will be me telling my husband if I get married to buzz off when
the fish are biting)

My Dad took the empty "beverage cans" home in the back of his truck
for the animal shelters. I think there were enough cans to keep a
bunch of homeless dogs fed for a week or two.

Just wanted to say Hey! to everbody. Gotta go back to work tomorrow
and need some rest.

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend as much as me.

Love you all
Marisa Louise

Marisa Louise

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:11:28 GMT, "1900" wrote:

Where were you? Sounds like my childhood in Minnesota!

I want to go muskie fishing there, lucky!

Well, at 27 I guess I am not a child anymore but I still love boat
camping. For those that don't know the area, we were at Kinzua Dam in
northwest PA. Except for a hard rain shower a couple of times, the
weather was great. Windy though. and the water was still pretty cold.

There are a bunch of boat in only campgrounds right on the lake. We
went to the one we always used to go to when I was real little. I
remembered the place very well although I don't remember the name.
Next time I talk to my Dad, I'll ask him.

My second cousins wore mine and my brother's old life jackets from
when we were little. I can't hardly believe I was that small when we
first started camping up there. My Mom and Dad saved the life jackets
even though they moved 3 times. The life jackets were kept in bags and
looked just like new. I remembered them as soon as I saw them, Cypress
Garden ski jackets!. The only thing I didn't like about them was the
strap that hooked between my legs from the front to the back. (Heh,
heh, bet my big brother really hated that strap

My Uncles cooked breakfast and supper every day. Breakfast was eggs,
lots of bacon, smoked sausage, watermelon, cantalope, strawberries,
english muffins, coffee, and just about everything you could think of.
We had 3 coleman stoves going full time. One night my Uncle cooked up
a pork loin in a charcoal cooker. Before he cooked it, he wrapped it
round and round with strips of bacon. That was so good! Barbeque
chicken strips, pork and beans, rice, and potatoe salad rounded it
off. Desert was all kinds of fruit and even fudge and a chocalate
cream cake my aunt made. On the boat, my Mom cooked up barbeque ham
sandwiches and my Aunt brought premade giant hoagies that we cut up
into normal size sandwiches. Then there were the snacks of every thing
you can imagine. My Mom brought some Guacamale? corn chips. They were
sort of green colored. My Dad told everbody they were chedder cheese
chips left over in the boat from last year and then ate some and
grossed everyone out.

The fishing was fun but ony a couple of us had fishing licences. We
were fishing at the mouth of a bay next to a point that stuck out into
the water. We use jigs with yellow twisty tails and small minnows. The
walleye were biting real slow. You had to lift the jig up and down
real slow. When the jig felt heavy, it was a walleye. Since we had
packed so much food, we let all the fish go.

The whole PA side of the lake is surrounded by national forest so you
really feel like you are camping. The air smells like fresh pine
trees.

I could go on and on but don't want to bore everyone to death.

I just had a great time and wanted everyone to know and hope that
everyone else had a great holiday too.

Oh yeah, my Uncle brought Sweedish fish. Anybody else remember the
little red gummy candy fish?

[...]

Marisa Louise

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 08:32:34 -0400, JohnH
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:57:41 -0400, Marisa Louise
wrote:

[...]

Nice post Marisa! My wife and I got out to the Chesapeake on Saturday for the
day. Played around and then went to a little "boaters' beach" island, anchored,
and had lunch. Nothing really exciting, but it was a nice day on the water!

You didn't say where your adventures took place.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

I am glad to hear somebody else had a great weekend. I hope everyone
else did too!.

I bet boating down on that bay is great!. My Dad was close to the area
on a number of trips to a steel mill down near the bay. He showed me
pictures of a real long bridge over a part of the bay. It looked so
nice over the water. And lots of water!

At least I think that is right, but I could be wrong about the area.
Please forgive me if I am wrong about a big steel mill being there.
That was probably about 10 years ago but the name sounds familiar. My
Dad hates to fly and I remember him complaining about asking his
secretary to book him back on the first big plane tp Pittsburgh.If I
remember the story right, she booked him on a little commuter plane. A
jet that took off 20 minutes later made it to Pittsburgh before he
did. I remember he was pretty mad.

My cousin's husband is a pilot. He flies a 50 passenger jet.

Oh well, I am wandering off again.

Please read my other long winded post about my trip.

Do you remember gummy candy Sweedish fish or was that a Pittsburgh
area thing?

Love you all
Marisa Louise