Nancy

Default An interesting day on the water

I took today off work to take a co-worker out for some Salmon fishing out of
Depoe Bay, OR. I'd promised her and her husband I'd take them out today, and
spaced it out completly till I got home from work last night to a phone
message asking what time they should be to the dock this morning.

So, I changed my work plans for today and off to Salmon fishing we went this
morning.

We started out around 35 fathoms depth, and had a few drive-by hook ups, and
one in the box. But it slowed down quite a bit, and even the puker boats
were complaining that it'd slowed.

While we were fishing we also were watching a wonderful lightning show off
in the distance SW of us a couple of miles. Pretty soon however, it had
moved in on one of the charter boats, and had a lightning strike on the
water less than 1 mile from him. We were trolling out offshore a little
further, and got into about 50 fathoms when I started seeing a LOT of birds
working the area. We were the only boat in the area, and the poles started
really going off!!

We were well into the fish, so I got on the radio and put out the word where
we were so the charters could get away from that storm sitting on top of
them. By the time they got out to us, the squall had moved right in on top
of us. Was VERY impressive. Suddenly the wind picked up to about 35-40mph,
and was swirlling in multiple directions...and raining VERY hard! By the
time we completed our limit off, I was starting to get a little nervous
about water spouts with the way the wind was going. Major down draft with
high winds.

We got our last 2 fish right in the middle of all that, so we boated them,
pulled the gear and ran for shore. We picked up a couple of nice Coho, about
12-13lbs each, and one small chinook.

Headed in and did a little bottom fishing on shore, and the weather broke up
and gave us a nice rest of the day.

Final count, 5 Coho, 1 Chinook, 3 Ling Cod, about 5 Black Bass, and one Sea
Trout for 3 of us.

I love it when a plan comes together.
Nancy - Sea Jypzee out