Han

Default removed distributor but forgot to mark the position of rotor

I screw up... didn't read the manual carefully. How can I find out
the original position? or how can I properly re-install the
distributor? I have a 1978 mercruiser 260 (chevy 350 engine).

Thanks for your help.
Tan PS

Open up the left rock cover to see the valves. Turn the engine using a
wrench at the drive pulley nut, removing spark plugs helps, until both #1
cylinder vlaves are closed. This is TDC for #1, position rotor arm at #1
position and reinstall distributor. The timing mark should also line up.

You must sight the #1 valves for this, using the timing mark without the
valves can put you at #6 at TDC with the marks lined up.

Good luck.

"Han" wrote in message
m...
I screw up... didn't read the manual carefully. How can I find out
the original position? or how can I properly re-install the
distributor? I have a 1978 mercruiser 260 (chevy 350 engine).

Thanks for your help.

Han

Thanks for the info.
I already took the heads off for a valve job. Is there a way to just
look at the piston?
Gregory McGuire

to determine correct position to install the distributor,
1. remove spark plug from #1 cylinder
2. crank motor with finger over the #1 cylinder plug hole
3. pressure pushing air out hole indicates piston coming to TDC (TOP DEAD
CENTER)
4. check timing mark on engine lines up with 0 (zero) on the timing mark on
vibration dampener.
5. insert distributor so that rotor points to #1 lead on distributor cap.
"Han" wrote in message
m...
I screw up... didn't read the manual carefully. How can I find out
the original position? or how can I properly re-install the
distributor? I have a 1978 mercruiser 260 (chevy 350 engine).

Thanks for your help.

Tan PS

Yes. Turn the crank until the #1 pistion is at TDC and look at the 2 valve
lifters. Both should be at the bottom of travel. If not at bottom of
travel, it the #6 TDC, turn engine over 1 more revolution.

No need to go out of our way to find the #1 TDC before the valve adjustment,
the reassembly process will bring you there.

As your heads are off, you'll need to adjust the valves after head
reassembly. That is done at 2 engine positions, #1 TDC and #6 TDC. Do that
with #6 first, then #1 and your engine is ready for the distributor.

Hope this helps.

"Han" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the info.
I already took the heads off for a valve job. Is there a way to just
look at the piston?

JAXAshby

remove the plug from cyl #1 (or any cyl), put your thumb over the hole, turn
over the engine until you feel compression coming up, then some more, then use
a small screwdriver stuck down the hole and turn the engine over very slowly
until the piston has stopped moving up.

Take cap off distributor, noting which plug wire the rotor is pointing at,
insert distributor in hole and tighten hold bolt enough to kept the distributor
from slopping around. The spark wire the rotor is pointing is the wire you run
to cyl #1. then run the rest of the plug wires to the prop plugs in the proper
order.

You engine will start (assuming all else is okay), and then time the engine.
Then go boating and enjoy.
JAXAshby

clarification:

remove the plug from cyl #1 (or any cyl)

The spark wire the rotor is pointing is the wire you run
to cyl #1.

(or the cyl you held your thumb over)