Gould 0738

Default NTSB, August 25, "Mandatory" PFD

According to NTSB statistics, 100% of passengers killed in commercial airline
crashes were not wearing parachutes.

I guess we should be looking into that....

Parachutes don't improve your safety on a commercial flight.

They can be useful, however, when leaping out of a plane.

More people will survive falling off a boat without a PFD than will survive
falling out of an airplane without a parachute.
jim--

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
According to NTSB statistics, 100% of passengers killed in commercial

airline
crashes were not wearing parachutes.

I guess we should be looking into that....

Parachutes don't improve your safety on a commercial flight.

They can be useful, however, when leaping out of a plane.

More people will survive falling off a boat without a PFD than will

survive
falling out of an airplane without a parachute.

Although your premise may be correct, it is not practical for most every
boaters. You see it every day...he kids will be wearing life jackets but
how often do you see adults wearing one? Never. And why do you never see
passengers required to wear one on commercial vessels? Because it is not
required nor is it practical.

Yep...we could wear lifejackets, parachutes and personal airbags (is there
such a thing?) when we travel, but it really does not make sense nor is it
practical.

The best answer is education. Show your passengers where the life jackets
are and how to use them.

alex

how many of the deaths were alchol related??? i'll bet most were.

Greg

Maybe we should simply require that all the type 4s on a boat must be in good
condition. The old kapok stories anout sitting on cushions rendering them
unsafe is obsolete. People should throw them away when the straps go bad or
they start splitting apart tho.
If you threw a type 4 to MOBs immediately the survival rate would go up
significantly. If nothing else it will give you a better target when you
execute your Williamson turn.
On my boat, if it looks like a type 4, it is. I don't have any cushions that
are not life saving devices, in good condition.
Gould 0738

I'd think that 100% of the people who fall out of an airplane without a
parachute will die. I'm sure there are plenty of people who fall off a
boat without a PFD who survive.

Steve

Good thing too. A whole lot of people fall off of or out of boats every year.

I'm trying to remember the last time somebody accidentally "fell out of" an
airplane.
Gould 0738

During a bombing raid over Germany on 23rd March, 1944, Flight Sergeant
Nicholas Alkemade, R.A.F., jumped from his Lancaster at 18,000 feet, to

Establishing once and for all that PFD's, like parachutes, are just frivolous.
:-)

Isn't it true that no matter how far you fall you reach a maximum terminal
velocity of about 125-150 mph? No doubt a "lucky" landing would be potentially
survivable.