Doug

Default Fishing boat wiring

Hey group,

I just recently purchased a fishing boat and is in need of some wiring....
It's a medium size craft, 20 foot Starcraft with decking and the previous
owner has the wires black taped, twisted together, unfused and a whole
array of other problems. What sort of fuse block / Splicer would I need for
tying this all together to tidy things up a bit? I am running a:

Livewell
Trolling motor
Accessory plugs - 2
Bilge pump
Lights
and an electric start for the motor

This is all on a dual battery 12 volt system

I would think that there would be some sort of power distributing block or
something where I could tie everything into where there is 2 main wires in
and then screw the other wires into it and have them fused. I have done
some leg work on the net and have pretty much come up with nothing on the
marine sites. What I have found is waaaay in excess of what I need. It
seems simple enough, a block with 2 8 gauge wire in's with 12 or 14 gauge
capable brass screws for accessories to bind everything with fuse protection
and or breakers. Anyone got any links or thoughts?? I am all ears and TIA

Doug

Harry Krause

Doug wrote:

[...]

Where are you located, Doug? There might be a good West Marine store
near you where the manager or one of the old salts would be able to help
you out.
Doug Kanter

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Every time I walk into West Marine, I look at the kind of stuff you're
asking about and WISH my boat was big enough to need it! They have plenty of
breaker blocks & distribution panels, including small ones. Go to
www.westmarine.com. I'd also visit a marina, look at a few boats on display,
and pick up some ideas in terms of the art of wiring.

Doug Kanter

If my local Boat US is any indication, the whole company should be up for
sale soon. The store's staffed with the worst amateurs I've ever seen in
retailing, including the manager.

hlink.net...

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

NOYB

West Marine and the retail division of Boat US are the same company now.

By me, West Marine has more helpful employees than Boater's World. But
Boater's World beats 'em on price by quite a lot.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If my local Boat US is any indication, the whole company should be up for
sale soon. The store's staffed with the worst amateurs I've ever seen in
retailing, including the manager.

hlink.net...

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Kanter

Here, West Marine's 15 minutes away from Boat US, and the difference in
knowledge level is like night & day. I suspect it's because the West Marine
is directly across the street from 5 marinas and a ritzy yacht club.

"NOYB" wrote in message
hlink.net...
West Marine and the retail division of Boat US are the same company now.

By me, West Marine has more helpful employees than Boater's World. But
Boater's World beats 'em on price by quite a lot.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If my local Boat US is any indication, the whole company should be up

for
sale soon. The store's staffed with the worst amateurs I've ever seen in
retailing, including the manager.

hlink.net...

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:
If my local Boat US is any indication, the whole company should be up for
sale soon. The store's staffed with the worst amateurs I've ever seen in
retailing, including the manager.

"NOYB" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Check Boater's World first. Their prices are always cheaper unless West
Marine/Boat US is having a sale.

BOAT/US and Boater's World, in most locations, are staffed with clerks
who know almost nothing about boats. I used to shop at the BOAT/US
headquarters store in Alexandria, Virginia. It had one guy who was a
real boater and had knowledge of boating subjects.

Most West Marine stores have staff who know about boats.

Nobby probably gets dental patients who shop on price alone.
NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
If my local Boat US is any indication, the whole company should be up

for
sale soon. The store's staffed with the worst amateurs I've ever seen in
retailing, including the manager.

"NOYB" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Check Boater's World first. Their prices are always cheaper unless

West
Marine/Boat US is having a sale.

BOAT/US and Boater's World, in most locations, are staffed with clerks
who know almost nothing about boats. I used to shop at the BOAT/US
headquarters store in Alexandria, Virginia. It had one guy who was a
real boater and had knowledge of boating subjects.

Most West Marine stores have staff who know about boats.

Boats, maybe. But certainly not fishing...even though they sell a lot of
fishing equipment.

There are better places to get info about boat and fishing related items
than West Marine. I took a Penn Formula 2-speed reel to West Marine to get
it spooled with new line. The guy took out his screwdriver and was ready to
take apart my reel and remove the reel spool to put on his automatic
spooling machine.

"Uh...I don't think you want to do that"

"How else do you do it?"

"This is how"...and I grabbed the reel and went to my local bait, tackle,
and rod/reel repair shop.

Nobby probably gets dental patients who shop on price alone

I'd have no patients if that were the case. I'm not the most expensive, but
I'm not in the bottom half with my fees either.

I'm perfectly willing to pay more for good service. But I don't think
"service" is an important consideration when purchasing retail boating and
fishing items. That is, as long as the store has a generous return policy.
;-)

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Harry Krause :

BOAT/US and Boater's World, in most locations, are staffed with clerks
who know almost nothing about boats. I used to shop at the BOAT/US
headquarters store in Alexandria, Virginia. It had one guy who was a
real boater and had knowledge of boating subjects.

Most West Marine stores have staff who know about boats.

Have to disagree, in N. Seattle at least. Our West Marine is staffed
mostly by 17-18 yr old girls. Nice eye candy, but they don't know a damn
thing. Our Boaters World store is staffed mosly by middle aged
guys. Not pretty to look at, most are a bit portly and balding, but all
are experienced boaters. One of the guys only works there in the
winter, in the summer he runs a charter and guide business in
Alaska. Also, Boater's World helps out local fishing club by donating
items for our monthly raffle. Not cheap crap either, I won a hundred
dollar inflatable PFD a few months ago. For years, they've supported our
local fishing newspaper with a full-page ad, which West Marine has never
done.

The price differences can be huge. I needed a water pump kit for my
outboard, West wanted $65, Boater's World had it for $39.

Dan

--
When the world bites, there's no antidote.

-- The Gothic Archies

Fishing Boat Missing in Gulf near Pensacola Harry Krause General 0 February 29th 04 10:58 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM