the game, man.

Default Morse Controls, which lever is...

I just purchased a preowned Parker 2520xl with dual Morse Controls for
each station. Each control has a both a red and a black-knobbed lever.
Is the red lever for rpm adjustments and the black lever for
forward/reverse engagement? Also, for starting the engine, can I
assume the neutral lever positions are straight up on the transmission
engage lever and then full aft for the rpm lever?

Thanks,
--Brett
Gould 0738

I just purchased a preowned Parker 2520xl with dual Morse Controls for
each station. Each control has a both a red and a black-knobbed lever.
Is the red lever for rpm adjustments and the black lever for
forward/reverse engagement?

Traditionally, yes.

Remember red=fire=fuel :-)

However, if the boat was previously owned all bets are off. Don't assume that
anything is hooked up or installed properly on a used boat. (Sometimes new,
too).

Also, for starting the engine, can I
assume the neutral lever positions are straight up on the transmission
engage lever and then full aft for the rpm lever?

Thanks,
--Brett

Straight up for nuetral, assuming the cable is properly adjusted. If the engine
won't crank, wiggle the tranny lever a little bit.
Lots of times the cable is OOA and the lever has to be slightly forward or aft
of center to activate the neutral switch.

As for the throttle cable, it will depend a lot on whether the engines are
carbed or injected. Lots of times the carbed engines need a couple of "pumps"
from a cold start.
the game, man.

Thank you !!

-brett
Gould 0738

I find it odd that each control had a red and black knob. Usually the
throttles are on the same control and the shifters are on the other
control.

Maybe the guy just liked to alternate his knobs.

I have seen it done as you describe, but I personally prefer having a seperate
control console for each engine in a twin engine situation. There are so many
times when you are hoping to do something completely different with one engine
than the other that the physical separation of the controls makes it easier.

Example, if you want to go ahead on the port engine and reverse on starboard,
and if you transmission selectors are very close together, you need to be
careful not to whack the starboard control from reverse back to neutral as you
reach forward with the port.

For me, it's easier to "think through" the process (and I run single screws
more easily and instinctively than twins) when the controls for each engine are
together and separated from those of the other engine.

Gould 0738

I think most experienced twin engine guys would disagree with that
thinking. The vast majority of low speed maneuvering is done with
only the shifters

I agree with that.

and it becomes very intuitive to have them together,
usually to the left of the helm although Hatteras is to the right.

Anything can become intuitive.

A bizarre set-up I once encountered was rigged with the throttle and shifter
levers mounted on horizontal surface, above the rim of a vertical "destroyer"
wheel.

The starboard module had the black shifter lever outboard, and the red
throttle lever inboard. The port module had the throttle lever inboard, and the
shifter lever outboard. This placed the shifter levers at the opposite edges of
the array, making the "driving a bulldozer" crutch seem a bit more realistic.
:-) It was a little unusual, but the boat owner swore by at.

If
shifter and throttle were together it would be very easy to nail the
throttle by mistake and end up with a moving 50,000 pound problem on
your hands.

In the 10th of a second it would take to realize such a mistake (been there,
done that) that 50,000 pound boat isn't going to move very far.
Gould 0738

Are there any boats set up as you describe?

Yes.
CaptMP

gould0738 says: "In the 10th of a second it would take to realize such a
mistake (been there, done that) that 50,000 pound boat isn't going to move very
far.

I say, with the tide going out (in) and the wind going sideways (left ways, no,
right ways), lots of times the boat can get a fair amount of way on while you
try and sort it out.
And a "50,000 lb" boat can do a lot of damage during that time! 1/10 sec?
Hmmmmm you have better reflexes then most..
Mike

Gould 0738

I say, with the tide going out (in) and the wind going sideways (left ways,
no,
right ways), lots of times the boat can get a fair amount of way on while you
try and sort it out.

If there is substantial wind and/or current you wil be using the throttles as
well as the gears. 10th of a second? Long before you push the throttle as far
as it would take to make a gear change, you will indeed notice a pronounced
change in RPM. The error will be immediately apparent. There shouldn't be any
"trying to sort out" involved. If you screw up in the middle of a landing, you
have to know how what you did affected things and have a plan to counter or
recover. It's way too late to sort anything out. You either have a workable
program to recover or you abort and start over.

Situational awareness. Don't leave home without it.