tbd

Default Do large outboards need hydraulic steering?

I am thinking of buying a Lund with a 150 or 200 hp 4 stroke. The dealer
opinions on the necessity of hydraulic steering seem to be based on what
they have in stock.

I am interested in any real life experiences with larger engines
with/without hydraulic steering.

Thank you

Gregory McGuire

Hi,
Prop torque seems to be a factor when turning my wheel. when I turn right,
and give it the gas, then it is hard to return the wheel back to left. My
engine is 90 HP, on 16 foot boat.
"tbd" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a Lund with a 150 or 200 hp 4 stroke. The dealer
opinions on the necessity of hydraulic steering seem to be based on what
they have in stock.

I am interested in any real life experiences with larger engines
with/without hydraulic steering.

Thank you

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Gregory McGuire :
Hi,
Prop torque seems to be a factor when turning my wheel. when I turn right,
and give it the gas, then it is hard to return the wheel back to left. My
engine is 90 HP, on 16 foot boat.

You probably have an economy steering helm installed. The slightly more
expensive ones have a No-Feedback mechanism installed. FWIW, I used to
have a 21' OB with a 200 HP Evinrude.. back in that era, there was no
hydraulic steering for outboards, and it did just fine with a sincle cable
system. However, in this day, I think I'd choose hydraulic steering for
it. Or, you could go the route an aquaintance of mine went, and get a 200
HP outboard with tiller steering. Builds arm mucsles quick!

Dan

-- Douglas Adams

del cecchi

"tbd" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a Lund with a 150 or 200 hp 4 stroke. The

dealer
opinions on the necessity of hydraulic steering seem to be based on

what
they have in stock.

I am interested in any real life experiences with larger engines
with/without hydraulic steering.

Thank you

Lund 1775 with 115, cable steering. If the trim isn't correct it takes
a little force. perfectly acceptable.

del cecchi

Tony Thomas

None of my boats have ever had hydraulic steering. It is really not a
problem given your situation. Hydraulic will make life a little easier but
not a major factor.
Really depends on the cost difference and if you want to fool w/ the added
maintenance issues.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"tbd" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a Lund with a 150 or 200 hp 4 stroke. The dealer
opinions on the necessity of hydraulic steering seem to be based on what
they have in stock.

I am interested in any real life experiences with larger engines
with/without hydraulic steering.

Thank you

RichG

I had hyd. steering on a 150 hp on a BW copy (Gulf Coast). However, the HP
wasn't the deciding factor as to the need for hyd. steering.

It was due to the fact that I had a jack plate, and the engine was way above
the "normal" water position that caused the need for the hyd. steering,
IMHO.
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners
"tbd" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a Lund with a 150 or 200 hp 4 stroke. The dealer
opinions on the necessity of hydraulic steering seem to be based on what
they have in stock.

I am interested in any real life experiences with larger engines
with/without hydraulic steering.

Thank you

tbd

Default outboards/ hydraulic steering -- update

Thanks all for your comments. I found a used boat with 90 HP and cable
steering. I should be closing the deal this Wed. Thanks for your replies and
insight.

cable steering Gregory McGuire General 1 June 8th 04 12:52 AM
Hydraulic steering for a 40ft cat? Michal General 6 March 13th 04 02:35 AM
Hydraulic steering seizing remedies please Chester General 1 October 28th 03 07:11 PM
Teleflex-Morse Seastar Hydraulic steering/ installed. Donny General 0 September 21st 03 04:34 PM
Stiff steering on Johnson 15hp Lloyd Sumpter General 1 July 11th 03 12:22 AM