Blair Doyle

Default restoring an 18ft bowrider.. any advice/tips?

Hey all,
ive got an older 18ft bowrider w/ 150hp inboard,
the motor is in good condition, but the boat needs some work

By that I mean some work.. and since I dont know anything about boats and
what they need to be in good condition, thats all i can say..
but since im the one thats gonna be doing the work, i come to you all, and
ask for some help,

If I was to gut the interior of the boat, what would a weathered / well used
boat usually require to be restored properly..

I have heard mention of redoing some fiberglass, foaming the bottom of the
boat.. etc..
can anyone give me specifics of the typical work that would be required for
this?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

p.s.: I realize there is alot that could potentially be needed, and my
informations is pretty uninformative, I only ask that those of you with
experience with boats and restoring boats, that you can shed some light on
as to what typically I have in store for me..
materials required, tools required, suggestions as to what I should be
looking for to ready my boat for next spring.

Thanks a bunch
please reply to

Bob La Londe

Here is a differtn perspective. Learn how to build boats.

I originally wanted to build a boat or two myself. I may still do so in a
few years, but for now I am satisfied with the boat(s) I have purchased.

I spent several months researching boat building on-line at a variety of
sites. I personally think that www.bateau.com and www.glen-l.com have some
of the most information in one place. There are many others as well. If
you review the archives for news:rec.boats.building via
http://groups.google.com I imagine you will find a lot of boat building
sites with varying amounts of information. There are also a few sites by
people who documented their own projects.

Most of the boat building sites are based around plyoowd or wood plank
construction with fiberglass / epoxy as a coating and bonding agent.
However, there is a lot of useful information in general construction by
studying these.

For engine technical I have found the guys at www.tenkillermarine.com to be
very helpful. While their assistance for DIYs was not quite the, "we'll do
anything we can except hop on a plane and come do it for you," that their
website claims, they have been very helpful for me.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

"Blair Doyle" wrote in message
[...]

Rural Knight

"Blair Doyle" wrote in message
Hey all,
ive got an older 18ft bowrider w/ 150hp inboard,
the motor is in good condition, but the boat needs some work

~~ snippage ~~

You need to really look at and under the floor first - if it
is weak in any spot, then expect to remove and replace.
Depending on the age of the boat, that might not be a bad
idea anyway because it will give you a look at the stringers
along the hull and their condition. This also gives you an
opportunity to look at the fuel tank if it is an internal tank.
If it's galvanized, look at the corners and under the tank
for rust, etc. As long as you are in there, measure the
fuel lines and get replacements.

Check all wire routes and their condition. With boats,
this can be an adventure because of the very nature of
copper corrosion. Anything that has excessive corrosion -
replace it. Wire is cheap.

Check all the points where the structure meets metal, wood
or fiberglass - all the sharp corners that can catch and collect
water and check their condition. Use the ice pick/finish nail
method - not a lot of pressure either is needed. If you have
to push hard to get the sharp end to penetrate, then the joint
is good - leave it alone.

Check the transom at the bilge - use the ice pick/finish nail - you
are looking for wet rot, weakness or soft wood.

Check the junction of the stringers to the transom in the bilge.
Use the ice pick/finish nail to probe around. Have somebody
turn the motor hard to starboard and port to detect if the bolts
connecting the engine to the transom are pulling through, loose
or the area surrounding the bolts is soft (been there, done that).

Take a small rubber hammer and thump the hull below the
water line - this will help detect gaps or soft spots not readily
apparent on a visual inspection.

Over the years, I've done nine project boats - everything from
a 32 foot Egg Harbor cabin/flybridge replacement to a 17' Boston
Whaler Sport center console conversion. The one thing I learned
very early on in the process is that you take a first look, make a list,
then cover the project, walk away from it for a day or two, then
what you missed the first time.

Above all, take your time and do it right - project boats are a blast
to do and the payoff is rewarding.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom