Capt Frank Hopkins

Default Ants in my...

Went down to the boat today and was astonished to find a large nest of big
red ants. I tracked them down to a small hole in the engine room. They are
marching across the gunnels to the anchor ropes and then down the dock. Any
ideas on how to get rid of these critters? I have already tried AMDRO and
they avoid it.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_
__\_| oooo \_____
~~~~|______________/ ~~~~~
www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Don White

"Capt Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Went down to the boat today and was astonished to find a large nest of big
red ants. I tracked them down to a small hole in the engine room. They are
marching across the gunnels to the anchor ropes and then down the dock.

Any
ideas on how to get rid of these critters? I have already tried AMDRO and
they avoid it.
--

If they are marching off...what's the problem? Pour a bit of something
they may like on the dock and pipe them off.

Chris Newport

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 11:20 pm in rec.boats Capt Frank Hopkins wrote:

Went down to the boat today and was astonished to find a large nest of big
red ants. I tracked them down to a small hole in the engine room. They are
marching across the gunnels to the anchor ropes and then down the dock.
Any ideas on how to get rid of these critters? I have already tried AMDRO
and they avoid it.

This almost certainly means that they are carting away something eatable.
Has something like a bird or rat died in the bilge or maybe you left the
fridge open ?

Several times I have followed a line of ants and found the dead catch that
the cat brought in, usually under the bed.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

Tammy

I buy a product for the house at Walmart. It's a tiny red bottle of
liquid that the ants love, but they bring it back to the nest and it kills
the whole coloney. It works wonders around here.
Tammy

"Capt Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Went down to the boat today and was astonished to find a large nest of

big
red ants. I tracked them down to a small hole in the engine room. They

are
marching across the gunnels to the anchor ropes and then down the dock.

Any
ideas on how to get rid of these critters? I have already tried AMDRO

and
they avoid it.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_
__\_| oooo \_____
~~~~|______________/ ~~~~~
www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Floyd I Johnson

Spray something like WD-40 around the mooring access areas to keep them from
boarding. Kill the ants with boric acid powder into the holes where they
are entering/hiding.

Went down to the boat today and was astonished to find a large nest of big
red ants. I tracked them down to a small hole in the engine room. They are
marching across the gunnels to the anchor ropes and then down the dock.

Any
ideas on how to get rid of these critters? I have already tried AMDRO and
they avoid it.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_
__\_| oooo \_____
~~~~|______________/ ~~~~~
www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

D0N ßâiley

Try to vacuum up as many as you can. When you get
rid of them, use something on the dock ropes to
keep em off. I recently had this problem with
an RV. I kept going in every hour to vacuum the
little *******s up. I don't want them DEAD in
my RV or boat, I want them GONE.

We now sprinkle Comet around points of entry
to keep the *******s out. This works.

Bay Leaves is something they DON'T like. Keep
a few around here and there.

db

"Capt Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Went down to the boat today and was astonished to find a large nest of big
red ants. I tracked them down to a small hole in the engine room. They are
marching across the gunnels to the anchor ropes and then down the dock.

Any
ideas on how to get rid of these critters? I have already tried AMDRO and
they avoid it.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_
__\_| oooo \_____
~~~~|______________/ ~~~~~
www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Gould 0738

Gould's Anteater Rentals at your service.

For a not so reasonable price, I'll ship you an anteater.

The rental rate will be substantially higher than you'd pay an exterminator,
but you won't have to worry about spraying poison chemicals around your boat.

There are a few items of fine print.

First, my ant eater should not be confused with an aunt eater, and won't be
removing any relatives that might be currently out of favor.

Second, the ant eater is equipped with some very sharp claws, (often used for
digging into ant hills in his natural environment). We will take no
responsiblity for damage to wall coverings, floorboards, carpets, or headliners
caused by the ant
eater rooting out the pesty little insects.

Third, there is a bit of industrial "fallout" that may be discharged by the ant
eater when it is engaged. That would be your problem, and he is averse to
wearing a diaper.

Finally, there is a certain odor associated with a full grown ant eater. (Some
say it smells as badly as our rental agreement, but we think the beast merely
runs a close second.)

Capt Frank Hopkins

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the red liquid from Walmart first.

--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_