Ken H

Default Trim Tab anode?

To the group,

I have a Merc 5.7 EFI Alpha installed on my 2002 Bowrider.

While cleaning up the outdrive I noticed a blank screw socked on the
cavitation plate.

After researching further, I believe this is where a Trim Tab Anode is
to be located. I don't think one was ever installed by the dealer.

My question:

1) Is this something I ned to install? (I am only running in fresh
water, and the dealer knew that)

2) Is there some other benefit to this gadget? (I also read something
about counteracting propeller torque. What is that?

Thanks for any advice.

Ken (newbie boater since 2002)

noah

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:37:55 GMT, Ken H
wrote:

To the group,

I have a Merc 5.7 EFI Alpha installed on my 2002 Bowrider.

While cleaning up the outdrive I noticed a blank screw socked on the
cavitation plate.

After researching further, I believe this is where a Trim Tab Anode is
to be located. I don't think one was ever installed by the dealer.

My question:

1) Is this something I ned to install? (I am only running in fresh
water, and the dealer knew that)

2) Is there some other benefit to this gadget? (I also read something
about counteracting propeller torque. What is that?

Thanks for any advice.

Ken (newbie boater since 2002)

It depends on where the "screw socket" is, Ken. On my Alpha, there is
an anode on the "front" end of the anti-cavitation plate. There is
also a small "fin" on the "back" end of the plate, directly over the
prop, to counter-act prop torque (steering). I have seen more than
one of the "fins" fall off, due to vibration. It won't cost you much
to replace it, and it will eliminate any "pull" in the steering wheel.
It also acts as an anode.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Jack Redington

Ken H wrote:

To the group,

I have a Merc 5.7 EFI Alpha installed on my 2002 Bowrider.

While cleaning up the outdrive I noticed a blank screw socked on the
cavitation plate.

After researching further, I believe this is where a Trim Tab Anode is
to be located. I don't think one was ever installed by the dealer.

My question:

1) Is this something I ned to install? (I am only running in fresh
water, and the dealer knew that)

2) Is there some other benefit to this gadget? (I also read something
about counteracting propeller torque. What is that?

Thanks for any advice.

Ken (newbie boater since 2002)

You don't need it if you have power steering. Which I am sure you do.

Capt Jack R..

Jack Redington

wrote:

[...]

They don't install the small fin if the boat has power steering. My 95
cuddy with a 5.0lx Alpha 1 drive is the same way. No fin and no pulling
to one side.

Capt Jack R..

Ken H

Thanks Capt, Noah,

Yeah. After investigating futher I do have a 'finless' anode installed.

And my boat is power steering so, all is now making sense.

Thanks!

Ken (concerns alleviated)

wrote:

[...]

noah

wrote:

[...]

....learned something new.
Thanks Capt. Jack.

Power Trim JTC General 0 July 29th 03 11:41 AM
Nauticus Trim Tabs Bill Andersen General 0 July 28th 03 10:59 PM
Mercruiser Trim Stuck Steely General 0 July 27th 03 07:18 AM
Anode life in water heater Keith General 1 July 23rd 03 10:30 PM
prop pitch/rpm and trim? werlax General 6 July 15th 03 12:40 AM