Gary Warner

Default Ratchet Tie Downs

We are considering using straps that have a ratchet
in them to help hold our boat onto the trailer. This
boat does not have eye-hooks in the back and we
don't want to install any. I'm quite certain the boat
would stay down just fine on it's own, but a little
extra protection can't hurt.

Anyway, some of the mechanisims on these seem
cheap. I'm just looking for comments about these
in terms of favorite brands, brands or types that
have given you trouble, etc.

Thanks,
Gary

Greg

Anyway, some of the mechanisims on these seem
cheap

You get what you pay for. I use load binders on my pontoon boat. They are like
the ones truckers use. I think I got them at Northern. They have a flat metal
"hook" that fits in the edge of the trailer "C" channel. Look at flatbed trucks
with the 1/4"x3" rail around the bed and you will see these in action.
IBNFSHN

Wally world did have them with stainless ratchets. They are much better than
the others. I use a pair of them on the back of my boat but they did have
the longer ones that go clear across.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

We are considering using straps that have a ratchet
in them to help hold our boat onto the trailer. This
boat does not have eye-hooks in the back and we
don't want to install any. I'm quite certain the boat
would stay down just fine on it's own, but a little
extra protection can't hurt.

Anyway, some of the mechanisims on these seem
cheap. I'm just looking for comments about these
in terms of favorite brands, brands or types that
have given you trouble, etc.

Thanks,
Gary

Rod McInnis

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

..

Anyway, some of the mechanisims on these seem
cheap. I'm just looking for comments about these
in terms of favorite brands, brands or types that
have given you trouble, etc.

I use a pair of tie downs on my trailer that are really simple. They are
NOT ratchet, but they adjust really easy. Simple hook on one end, and then
a cam lock on the other. Attach the straps, pull the excess through the cam
buckle, then flip the cam lever over. It tightens and locks the straps in
one easy motion. Hooks are large and the straps are strong.

Rod

JamesgangNC

The tie downs are for the abnormal situation. Yes, gravity is going to keep
your boat on the trailer. Until you have to make a sharp turn to avoid an
accident or get in an accident.

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

We are considering using straps that have a ratchet
in them to help hold our boat onto the trailer. This
boat does not have eye-hooks in the back and we
don't want to install any. I'm quite certain the boat
would stay down just fine on it's own, but a little
extra protection can't hurt.

Anyway, some of the mechanisims on these seem
cheap. I'm just looking for comments about these
in terms of favorite brands, brands or types that
have given you trouble, etc.

Thanks,
Gary

Greg

Depends on the weight of the boat. Mine weighs 600 lbs fully loaded

It really doesn't make much difference. A heavier boat simply puts heavier
"Newton" forces against the tie down when you turn or hit a bump..
Doug Kanter

"Greg" wrote in message
Depends on the weight of the boat. Mine weighs 600 lbs fully loaded

It really doesn't make much difference. A heavier boat simply puts heavier
"Newton" forces against the tie down when you turn or hit a bump..

scratching head....remembering fragmented bits of high school physics More
mass, more tendency to STAY in motion. I say tie down the transom.

Greg

A heavier boat simply puts heavier
"Newton" forces against the tie down when you turn or hit a bump..

scratching head....remembering fragmented bits of high school physics More
mass, more tendency to STAY in motion. I say tie down the transom.

Aren't we saying the same thing? A heavy boat presents greater forces against
the strap. Gravity will not keep it on the trailer if it starts bouncing or
swaying.
Greg

The tie downs are for the abnormal situation. Yes, gravity is going to keep
your boat on the trailer. Until you have to make a sharp turn to avoid an
accident or get in an accident.

I saw my buddy's 23' Rabalo slide about 300' down US 41 using that logic.
Fortunately it tilted left a little and came to a stop on the grass before it
came off "plane". Virtually all of the road rash was along the keel.
We all got a lesson on cheap tie downs and tongue weight that day.
Two quick trailer whips was all ot took to launch that boat onto the pavement,
straightening out a 3/8" hook and shearing off the winch arm.

Kudos again to the Lee Couny Sheriff's department who helped us get it back on
the trailer (with 2 body builder type deputies) and sent us off with a verbal
warning.