Doug Kanter

Default Ratchet Tie Downs

"Greg" wrote in message
A heavier boat simply puts heavier
"Newton" forces against the tie down when you turn or hit a bump..

scratching head....remembering fragmented bits of high school physics

More
mass, more tendency to STAY in motion. I say tie down the transom.

Aren't we saying the same thing? A heavy boat presents greater forces

against
the strap. Gravity will not keep it on the trailer if it starts bouncing

or
swaying.

Maybe, but only on Thursdays. :-)

Chuck Tribolet

In addition to the apparently missing transom straps,
where was the safety chain backing up the winch strap.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Greg" wrote in message ...
The tie downs are for the abnormal situation. Yes, gravity is going to keep
your boat on the trailer. Until you have to make a sharp turn to avoid an
accident or get in an accident.

I saw my buddy's 23' Rabalo slide about 300' down US 41 using that logic.
Fortunately it tilted left a little and came to a stop on the grass before it
came off "plane". Virtually all of the road rash was along the keel.
We all got a lesson on cheap tie downs and tongue weight that day.
Two quick trailer whips was all ot took to launch that boat onto the pavement,
straightening out a 3/8" hook and shearing off the winch arm.

Kudos again to the Lee Couny Sheriff's department who helped us get it back on
the trailer (with 2 body builder type deputies) and sent us off with a verbal
warning.

Greg

In addition to the apparently missing transom straps,
where was the safety chain backing up the winch strap.

When this thing came off the trailer it ripped the winch bracket off, tearing
the weld at the post. The winch went with the boat, as did the "safety" chain.
Greg

Exciting stuff, sounds like it happened right up the road from me.
Glad I wasn't zipping down to CC from Tuckers Grade at the time.

This was in Estero, about a mile from my house. The last thing he said was "I
will lead because this thing isn't trailing right and I want to go slow". I was
hanging back trying to slow him down. At about 55 I saw the port side, then the
starbord side, then lots of dust and brake lights.

Camilo

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

We are considering using straps that have a ratchet
in them to help hold our boat onto the trailer. This
boat does not have eye-hooks in the back and we
don't want to install any. I'm quite certain the boat
would stay down just fine on it's own, but a little
extra protection can't hurt.

"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
ink.net...
The tie downs are for the abnormal situation. Yes, gravity is going to

keep
your boat on the trailer. Until you have to make a sharp turn to avoid an
accident or get in an accident.

Also for normal situations, maybe? I would think that a rigid cradle for
the hull, with bounces and vibrations absorbed by the trailer springs and
tires is much better for the boat than the hull vibrating, bouncing and /or
flexing on and off the rollers or bunks as you go down the road, even if
these movements are very small or even unnoticable.

As for the quality of straps and type of tightening mechanism - as someone
pointed out, there's many options for inexpensive high quality transom and
bow tie down straps with very strong, wide web straps, very strong S hooks,
and the locking, flip lever type of tightener (as opposed to ratchet).
These are much neater and easier to use than ratchet straps. Super deluxe
transom straps cost about $30 a pair, $20 for standard grade. Similar bow
tie downs are around $10.

Search Cabelas, Overtons, West Marine, etc. etc. for trailer tie-downs
(transom and bow).

For example:

http://tinyurl.com/ywvat