Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Chris

Default wood floor in power boat? when is it time to change?

Good day,

In regards to my project boat (75 sunray 15'5) I'm wondering what others
think about wooden floors, and when to change them. From what I understand
the floors of all these boats are built with marine plywood thus they can
take a beating being wet. Now that I've covered the boat I'm letting it dry
up good, and will be ripping the carpet in a little bit. The reason I'm
curious about the floor is that when I pulled out the back seats, some of
the screws essentially came right out of the floor as I suppose enough water
was around them. Going forward I either dry up all the wood, clean, and
paint it then re-carpet, or I look at changing the wood floor (which I do
not prefer to do). I can stand on the floor with my my weight (over
200lbs) and as expected the floor may give a bit in places where there is no
extra support underneath but plywood typically has some flex right. In any
case there's no gaping holes or worn out areas in it, just some screw holes
that appear to be a little weaker around them.

Any ideas?

I have thought about taking out the carpet, waterproofing the existing floor
after a thorough cleaning and maybe even leaving the carpet off (as it
always soaks up water rather than letting the water go away.