John S

Default Fiberglass Chalking Help

Sorry if this topic has been covered before as I am new to the
internet and boating in general.

I recently purchased a 24' boat that has what I assume is chalking of
the gel coat from exposure to the sunlight.

I did a google search for a way to remove the chalking and it seems
that a thorough use of rubbing compound is the recommended way.

Just wondering if there was an easier way as I don't get very much
time off from work and would like to spend that little time enjoying
my boat on the water.

Thanks in advance
Regards
John S

Remove nospam from email address
Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:29:53 -0400, something compelled John S
, to say:

Sorry if this topic has been covered before as I am new to the
internet and boating in general.

I recently purchased a 24' boat that has what I assume is chalking of
the gel coat from exposure to the sunlight.

I did a google search for a way to remove the chalking and it seems
that a thorough use of rubbing compound is the recommended way.

Just wondering if there was an easier way as I don't get very much
time off from work and would like to spend that little time enjoying
my boat on the water.

Blow it off until Winter, and take care of it then?
John S

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:35:39 -0700, "Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam"
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:29:53 -0400, something compelled John S
, to say:

Sorry if this topic has been covered before as I am new to the
internet and boating in general.

I recently purchased a 24' boat that has what I assume is chalking of
the gel coat from exposure to the sunlight.

I did a google search for a way to remove the chalking and it seems
that a thorough use of rubbing compound is the recommended way.

Just wondering if there was an easier way as I don't get very much
time off from work and would like to spend that little time enjoying
my boat on the water.

Blow it off until Winter, and take care of it then?

I would love to, but I live in Northern Ohio and the winters here in
the snow belt are really pretty nasty. Last year, after I bought the
boat in the fall, I stored it through the winter in a controlled
climate limestone mine. No access to the boat there unfortunataely.

I have been browsing a lot this evening and found some comments on
using Penetrol to remove the chalking. Sounds easy and quick. However
if that is a bad choice, any thoughts would be appreciated before I do
something incredibly stupid in my haste.

Regards
John S

Remove nospam from email address
Gregory McGuire

I bought a used boat with chalking. What worked for me was 500 grit wet/dry
paper - 1200 wet/dry paper and then used a polisher with a wool bonnet which
can be purchased here --
you cannot find a better deal than this price on a polisher. It has a speed
adjuster perfect for buffing out the last of the chalk off your gelcoat. I
used SEA BOWLD LIQUID RUBBING COMPOUND -for medium oxidation, and SEABOWLD
SUPER SILICONE MARINE POLISH. I applied the polish by hand and removed by
hand. It was less work than I thought it would be, but it does take some
time. Also- I did not try to remove stains in the gelcoat from oil/grease,
cause I probably would have to go too deep into the gelcoat. When it was
polished it is barely noticeable.
First completely wash the boat with - carwash (that is what I used)
Second get a bucket with soapy water and wet sand the chalkiest area with
500 paper
Third go over again wet sand with 1200 paper. This paper wears out fast so
buy enough like 20 sheets. I bought packs of 20 sheets each of 500 1200.
(I used a sponge with the paper to even out the presure while wet sanding.
One of the green and yellow 3M SCOTCH BRITE pads, the paper folds around the
sponge perfect 3 times. When the paper wears out, use other 1/3 of paper ).
ONLY USE THE SAND PAPER ON THE CHALK ! USE THE POLISHING WHEEL, AND RUBBING
COMPOUND ON THE SHINEY GELCOAT.
USE LIGHT PRESURE ON THE SAND PAPER, ONLY TAKE OFF AS MUCH WITH THE SANDING,
AND LET THE POLISHING WHEEL DO THE FINISH WORK.
Be careful around sharp edges of the boat where the sanding would remove
more of the gelcoat and go through the color.
greg
"John S" wrote in message
Sorry if this topic has been covered before as I am new to the
internet and boating in general.

I recently purchased a 24' boat that has what I assume is chalking of
the gel coat from exposure to the sunlight.

I did a google search for a way to remove the chalking and it seems
that a thorough use of rubbing compound is the recommended way.

Just wondering if there was an easier way as I don't get very much
time off from work and would like to spend that little time enjoying
my boat on the water.

Thanks in advance
Regards
John S

Remove nospam from email address

Sam

Just wondering if there was an easier way

Sure. #1 Ignore it
#2 Have some of the boatyard scum deal with it
#3 Poke your eyes out with a sharp stick

1900

om...

#2 Have some of the boatyard scum deal with it
#3 Poke your eyes out with a sharp stick

That was helpful....

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:53:01 GMT, something compelled "1900"
, to say:

. com...

#2 Have some of the boatyard scum deal with it
#3 Poke your eyes out with a sharp stick

That was helpful....

Well, #1 is valid. I can see how someone would want their boat
to look as nice as possible, but if it's a choice between sanding
the hull and going boating, well that's kind of a slam dunk
decision, isn't it?

I'd word #2 more like "hire the work out," as those who work in
boatyards are making an honest living and providing a service to
those able to pay for it, which hardly qualifies them as "scum".

#3 seems somehow out of place.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I had a part of the day off today
and did some work on the boat. Getting it ready for my big day off
next week.

I actually found that a high powered commercial pressure washer (13Hp
engine) removed an awful lot of the chalking but left a rather dull
finish. I think I'll just finish it up one evening with a coating of
303 and enjoy it this year.

Maybe next year, if business continues at the same level, I'll have it
detailed at one of the local boatyards.
Regards
John S

Remove nospam from email address
mncmckee

Before I went to the trouble of sanding anything, I would try Nufinish or a
mild rubbing compound.

Just keep in mind that these are going to remove some of your gel coat
making oxidation occur more rapidly.

"John S" wrote in message
Sorry if this topic has been covered before as I am new to the
internet and boating in general.

I recently purchased a 24' boat that has what I assume is chalking of
the gel coat from exposure to the sunlight.

I did a google search for a way to remove the chalking and it seems
that a thorough use of rubbing compound is the recommended way.

Just wondering if there was an easier way as I don't get very much
time off from work and would like to spend that little time enjoying
my boat on the water.

Thanks in advance
Regards
John S

Remove nospam from email address

Sam

John S wrote in message . ..
Sorry if this topic has been covered before as I am new to the
internet and boating in general.

I recently purchased a 24' boat that has what I assume is chalking of
the gel coat from exposure to the sunlight.

I did a google search for a way to remove the chalking and it seems
that a thorough use of rubbing compound is the recommended way.

Just wondering if there was an easier way as I don't get very much
time off from work and would like to spend that little time enjoying
my boat on the water.

Thanks in advance
Regards
John S

Remove nospam from email address

John,I sure hope you didn't follow suggestion #3.I would really feel
bad then.What you have to do on your boat is get an electric buffer
and a buffing compound,an auto parts place can tell you what you need
or a marine supply place(get a West Marine catalogue) or some of
those splendid boatyard people will do it for you for $200 more or
less.