Lloyd Cimprich

Default Advice on backup for 15' Fiberglass runabout.

I have a 15' Leavens (fiberglass ) with a 45hp Mecrury Classic 50. This boat
has a trolling motor mount and I would like to add a backup emergency motor
get back to dock if Merc fails. I have been considering a Minn Kota (not
sure of spelling) electric and would appreciate comments as to minimum
thrust or advisability of using an electric backup. I have also been looking
on E-Bay for a suitable gas powered (perferably 4 cycle) outboard 4.5 -
9.9hp but am not sure if electric or gas is better.

I am used to sailing and with the back storm sails and auxilliary 6 hp
Johnson I was very confident about getting back to dock on way or another.
Actually I towed a 24' Chris Craft back to shore when its starter packed up
and left the poor people stranded in Lake Ontario with dusk rapidly
approaching. Initially I thought that the Johnson would do better but the
late fall water was too cold (and my thermostat was stuck open) and it kept
fouling the plugs. So up with the sails and off we went. When had finally
docked my 24 footer (under sail) and was setting my spring line the fellow
docked next to me remarked he had seen that I was helped in by a power boat
and wondered what problems I had encountered. I did not have the heart to
inform him that ropes were not for pushing.

TIA.

Joseph Stachyra

For a 15 foot anything, a electric motor off the shelf in wal-mart for $89
will work.
if your going to sea, then get a sea worthy boat, 15ft in open water, is
looking for trouble.

"Lloyd Cimprich" wrote in message
[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 02 May 2004 15:17:06 +0000, Lloyd Cimprich wrote:

I have a 15' Leavens (fiberglass ) with a 45hp Mecrury Classic 50. This boat has
a trolling motor mount and I would like to add a backup emergency motor get back
to dock if Merc fails. I have been considering a Minn Kota (not sure of
spelling) electric and would appreciate comments as to minimum thrust or
advisability of using an electric backup.

Assuming you just use your "engine" battery:
1. What if you run it down trying to start the outboard, or "dead battery" is
why you can't start the outboard in the first place?
2. If the battery's fully charged, a reasonable Minn Kota will run at maybe 60%
"throttle" for maybe 3-4 hrs. It would push your boat in calm water at maybe 2-3
knots at that setting. So in "ideal" conditions, you might get 10 miles with it.

So...as long as you're always less than 10 miles from the dock in calm water,
you should be OK.

Although I REALLY like electric motors for trolling and for dinghies, I'd have
to recommend against them for "emergency backup".

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Bill Kiene

You probably need an 8 - 10hp outboard. You might need a long shaft motor.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA