Michael

Default Back to square 1

I have a '93 SeaSwirl with a 115 hp outboard Johnson engine.... previously,
I had some issues getting it started (due to not understanding how to
activate the "fuel enrichment circuit") and the fuel gauge was reading empty
even though the tank was full. There was a beeping alarm that would start
about 120 seconds after starting the engine (whether started cold or already
warmed up made no difference, 120 seconds after starting the beeping
begins). It was thought this might be related to the fuel guage showing
empty all the time...

I put a new sending unit in the fuel tank and now the guage is reading full,
but the beeping persists! :-(

We've already disconnected the brown wires from the temp sensors on the side
of the engine and that has no effect whatsoever. I got under the dash Sunday
afternoon and checked the alarm with a voltage tester and here's my
observations:

The alarm has 1 black wire, 1 brown wire, and 2 purple wires going to it.
The black wire appears to be a ground wire, and I'm pretty certain that the
brown wire is the same wire running to the temp sensors on the engine. 1 of
the purple wires runs to the ignition switch and is hot when the ignition is
turned on... the 2nd purple wire though goes back to the engine and I've
traced it to a module on top of the block directly underneith the flywheel.
The brown wire has no voltage in it while the engine runs (and the alarm
beeps), nor does the black wire (which I'm pretty sure is the ground wire),
but both purple wires show constant voltage while the engine is running!
Obviously the purple wire to the ignition switch is supposed to have power,
but what's with the other purple wire running to the engine? What is that
module with 7 wires running out of it on top of the block under the
flywheel? The purple wire that goes to the engine is labeled "7".

Any help somebody might offer would be greatly appreciated! I'm getting this
boat ready to sell and this beeping is the last issue I need to resolve!!!
Thanks!

ps. I took a pic with my digital camera of the engine where you can clearly
see this purple wire running into that module if it's help any... ?

- Michael

Joe

Have you tried disconnecting the wires connected to your oil reservoir, and
to the fuel pump?

You may have either low oil in the reservoir, a bad sensor in the reservoir,
or a restriction in the oil supply line to the fuel pump.
It's very common to have the oil pickup screen in the oil reservoir to
become clogged.

Michael

Joe this boat doesn't have an oil injection system... I mix the oil directly
into the fuel tank. There is no "oil reservoir" or anything. Also the engine
seems to run just fine (aside from the persistant beeping from under the
dashboard). There is no fuel pump to my knowledge (at least, nothing
seperate in the line between the engine and the fuel tank).

It squirts water out the back of the engine like it's supposed to and
disconnecting the 2 temperature sensors (1 on either side of the block
connected via brown wires) has no effect. The fuel tank guage is now reading
3/4 full with a new sending unit so I can now rule out it being a low fuel
alarm. I'm clueless what else this damn beeping could be about. :-|

Thanks.

- Michael

"Joe" wrote in message
Have you tried disconnecting the wires connected to your oil reservoir,

and
to the fuel pump?

You may have either low oil in the reservoir, a bad sensor in the

reservoir,
or a restriction in the oil supply line to the fuel pump.
It's very common to have the oil pickup screen in the oil reservoir to
become clogged.

Joe

"Michael" wrote in message
Joe this boat doesn't have an oil injection system... I mix the oil

directly
into the fuel tank. There is no "oil reservoir" or anything. Also the

engine
seems to run just fine (aside from the persistant beeping from under the
dashboard). There is no fuel pump to my knowledge (at least, nothing
seperate in the line between the engine and the fuel tank).

It squirts water out the back of the engine like it's supposed to and
disconnecting the 2 temperature sensors (1 on either side of the block
connected via brown wires) has no effect. The fuel tank guage is now

reading
3/4 full with a new sending unit so I can now rule out it being a low fuel
alarm. I'm clueless what else this damn beeping could be about. :-|

Thanks.

- Michael

I wish I had a wiring diagram for your motor so I could try to help.
It is a 93 115, correct?

You should post your problem on-
http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

I am sure Joe Reeves will respond and help you to get to the bottom of it.

Michael

Yes, it's a '93 model Johnson 115 outboard. I wish there was some online
resources about this thing. Ughhh!

I'll checkout that link you provided... thanks Joe!

- Michael

"Joe" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:09:19 +0000, Michael wrote:

I have a '93 SeaSwirl with a 115 hp outboard Johnson engine.... previously, I
had some issues getting it started (due to not understanding how to activate the
"fuel enrichment circuit") and the fuel gauge was reading empty even though the
tank was full. There was a beeping alarm that would start about 120 seconds
after starting the engine (whether started cold or already warmed up made no
difference, 120 seconds after starting the beeping begins). It was thought this
might be related to the fuel guage showing empty all the time...

I put a new sending unit in the fuel tank and now the guage is reading full, but
the beeping persists! :-(

We've already disconnected the brown wires from the temp sensors on the side of
the engine and that has no effect whatsoever. snip

Just a far-out thought: perhaps the temp sensors are "fail-safe": they ALARM
when disconnected and "ok" is when they're connected to ground. Try shorting the
brown wire to ground?

Lloyd

Michael

Tried that, too.....grounding the brown temp sensor wires sets off a solid,
continuous alarm. I'm of the opinion that it has something to do with that
module with all the wires that's on top of the engine (under the flywheel).
No idea what it's for, though. :-(

- Michael

Back from vacation Mickey General 0 April 4th 04 02:41 AM
New one on me - Laminate Flooring Black-n-Gold General 117 October 16th 03 06:50 PM
The Bahamas, Key West and back. LaBomba182 General 1 August 4th 03 01:28 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM