VITO

Default Pressure washer question

what variety of oil should i select for the pressure washer pump. I
haven't changed it yet this year. We have a Karcher 3500 hd. i'm sure
it's detergent free
JR North

I use 30wt Castrol in mine-the unit is 8 years old with
original pump. Gets lots of use. The oil should be changed
in the pump after every hour of use, if you want it to last.
JR

--
Remove X to reply

Eisboch

"VITO" wrote in message
om...
what variety of oil should i select for the pressure washer pump. I
haven't changed it yet this year. We have a Karcher 3500 hd. i'm sure
it's detergent free

Pressure washer pumps usually call for 30 weight non-detergent, which is
hard to find sometimes.
Home Depot sells plastic bottles of pump oil made for pressure washers.

Eisboch

Camilo

"Eisboch" wrote in message
.. .

"VITO" wrote in message
om...
what variety of oil should i select for the pressure washer pump. I
haven't changed it yet this year. We have a Karcher 3500 hd. i'm sure
it's detergent free

Pressure washer pumps usually call for 30 weight non-detergent, which is
hard to find sometimes.
Home Depot sells plastic bottles of pump oil made for pressure washers.

Eisboch

What does non-detergent mean? What do you think would happen if regular 30W
automotive oil or even a multi vis was used? Just thinking ahead to what I
might do some day.

Cam

Eisboch

"Camilo" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
.. .

"VITO" wrote in message
om...
what variety of oil should i select for the pressure washer pump. I
haven't changed it yet this year. We have a Karcher 3500 hd. i'm sure
it's detergent free

Pressure washer pumps usually call for 30 weight non-detergent, which is
hard to find sometimes.
Home Depot sells plastic bottles of pump oil made for pressure washers.

Eisboch

What does non-detergent mean? What do you think would happen if regular

30W
automotive oil or even a multi vis was used? Just thinking ahead to what

might do some day.

Cam

Detergent oils contain additives to help keep contaminants and combustion
by-products in suspension in the oil. This keeps the engine cleaner and
reduces "sludge" buildup. Back in the "old days" before the advent of
detergent oils, a car engine built up crud to the point where oil returns
became plugged and hydraulic or mechanical lifters didn't get oil.
Clack-clack-clack. We used to mix up a batch of 50% oil and 50% kerosene and
run it in the engine for 15 minutes or so to clean out the sludge.

I am quite sure that the regular (detergent) oil in the pressure washer pump
would foam up prevent the pump from building pressure. It may, but I am not
sure, eventually wreck the pump. It would probably work - for a while.
Your pump may be different, but I've had three pressure washers - all called
for a pump oil (can't remember the name, but it is what Home Depot sells)
or, if you can't get the pump oil, use 30 weight, NON Detergent only.
Unfortunately, non-detergent oil is getting hard to find because there is so
little demand for it.

Eisboch

Eisboch

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Any Advance Auto, Auto Zone, or NAPA worth its salt carries
non-detergent oil.

I thought so too, until I recently tried to get some non-detergent for my
pressure washer at a local Pep Boys and Napa store. Both explained that
they just don't sell enough of it to stock it.

I am sure some stores carry it, but not like 20 years ago.

Eisboch

Camilo

"Eisboch" wrote
an explanation of detergent oil.

Thanks. That all makes sense. I do have some stuff called "pump oil" or
such, and it will probably last a while for as much as I use it.

Cam

Jeff Durham

If you are having find non detergent oil, check with either Red Line or
Amsoil. Both of those companies make excellent 100% synthetic oils.
Chances are, they have non-detergent and the synthetic would be the best oil
you could use.

Jeff

"VITO" wrote in message
om...
what variety of oil should i select for the pressure washer pump. I
haven't changed it yet this year. We have a Karcher 3500 hd. i'm sure
it's detergent free

JamesgangNC

Surprisingly I found non-detergent at walmart of all places. Lowes and Home
depot also often have 'pressure washer' oil but you pay a premium.
"Eisboch" wrote in message
.. .

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Any Advance Auto, Auto Zone, or NAPA worth its salt carries
non-detergent oil.

I thought so too, until I recently tried to get some non-detergent for my
pressure washer at a local Pep Boys and Napa store. Both explained that
they just don't sell enough of it to stock it.

I am sure some stores carry it, but not like 20 years ago.

Eisboch

Newbie question, what's that pressure gauge ? stevec General 1 January 25th 04 04:46 PM
Friday Ethics Question Gary Warner General 67 November 24th 03 01:59 PM
Alchohol stoves Parallax General 18 October 15th 03 06:37 PM
What capacity pressure washer? Tony V General 6 September 8th 03 07:29 AM
Prop rehub question Joe Blizzard General 1 August 15th 03 02:59 AM