Tony V

Default What capacity pressure washer?

I am looking to buy a pressure washer for my house before
I begin painting it. Naturally, I would like to use it to clean
the boat as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to pressure, GPM,
electric or gas or whatever?

Thanks for any help.

Tony Van

--
" Hey Tony... Where you at??"
(Find my jeep at: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=ak1o-12)

Jim

I have a small electric one from Walmart --co$t about $100 -- gives (so
it says) 1200 pounds pressure at the nozzle that does a nice job on my
boat. Dunno if that's enuf for a house tho

Tony V wrote:
I am looking to buy a pressure washer for my house before
I begin painting it. Naturally, I would like to use it to clean
the boat as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to pressure, GPM,
electric or gas or whatever?

Thanks for any help.

Tony Van

Don White

My former neighbour had one and swore that you needed the gasoline 2200 psi
type to make it worthwhile if you plan on
stripping old paint off. I must admit, it was effective with the right
nozzle.
I believe it was a Kratcher or some such brand.

Gfretwell

My former neighbour had one and swore that you needed the gasoline 2200 psi
type to make it worthwhile if you plan on
stripping old paint off.

I guess that is a good assessment. If you just want to clean the old paint the
electric 1200 PSI units are plenty.
When I rented a 6500 PSI unit I was taking the stucco off. If you are a serious
pressure washer user you would use a wider, low pressure tip on a big machine
and clean a wider swath at each path.
Larry Hill

I am looking to buy a pressure washer for my house before
I begin painting it. Naturally, I would like to use it to clean
the boat as well.

I use a 2500# Honda powered washer on my Trawler Deck and the house...Works
fine, but if I was going to buy again I would buy the most powerfull unit I
could afford...Bigger IS Better!
Larry HIll

Tony Thomas

I have an electric one and my dad has a gas one. More pressure is always
better as you can always back away and clean a wider area.
Problem w/ gas is they tend to sit around between uses and the carb can gum
up if you don't drain it after each use.
I like the electric myself for ease of use and not having any problems w/
carbs and stuff.
Check out the 1800 psi model that harbor freight has on sale for $119.99.
Should work fine and last a long time for average around the house use.
Would not trust it for industial every day use though. But then again, if
your using it a lot then carbs gumming up is not going to be an issue with
the gas model.

You will have to call them at 1-800-423-2567 and give them item # 02433-1ctc
to get the $119.99 price. Also give them coupon #271-562-215 for $5.00 off
and free shipping.
Here is the link for the specs.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2433

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Tony V" wrote in message
I am looking to buy a pressure washer for my house before
I begin painting it. Naturally, I would like to use it to clean
the boat as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to pressure, GPM,
electric or gas or whatever?

Thanks for any help.

Tony Van

--
" Hey Tony... Where you at??"
(Find my jeep at: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=ak1o-12)

Jim

Tony,

Larry Hill is right, bigger is better. Last time I used one to wash
house, I rented a 3500psi model (actually, they had nothing smaller
available for rent). You can back away from the house and move towards
it as necessary for the additional pressure. When I first fired this
one up, I blew a chunk of wood siding off the house which I never did
find. :^) The lower pressure ones (1000 psi and under) are good for
general use, but if you're painting your house, I would get a higher
pressure unit, at least 2000 psi. I like the gas units for the
convenience of just having to have a long hose pipe if necessary and
not the additional long extension cord. I saw a 2000 psi gas powered
unit at Wally World for $200 which I thought was an excellent dal. I'm
just not in the market for one at the moment. Keep in mind that after
you pressure wash your house, you should wait at least three days
before painting! The pressure washer forces water into the wood
siding (if that's what you have) and you need to give it a chance to
dry out a bit.

One pice of advice regardless of whether it's gas or electric, is to
ensure that the water is turned on BEFORE you fire up the unit and is
still on AFTER you are finished. It isn't a bad idea to leave the
water on a few minutes after you are finished. Even when not running,
water will still flow and this will help cool the pump down. Unless
things have changed recently, the pumps are fairly sensitive and will
certainly last a LOT longer if you do this.

You just might be surprised how much paint comes off the house when
using a pressure washer. If the pressure washer knocks the paint off,
you wanted it to come off to begin with as it didn't adhere as well as
you might have thought it did.

-Jim