77grandprix

Default Maintenance for Mercury Kiekhaefer Rocket 7.5 H.P. (1940's)

Someone recently gave me a Mercury Kiekhaefer outboard motor that is
rated at 7.5 horsepower. It's been sitting about a year but the guy
said that it definitely runs. I don't know much about boat motors at
all and I was wondering if there are any steps I should take before
firing this thing up. All I know is that it needs to be in water!!
From what I have researched, the motor is from the late 40's and it
looks to be in good shape. If someone has any info they think I should
know before attempting to start this motor I would sure like to hear
it. Let me know if you need me to find out anything more about the
motor. Thanks in advance

josh
Clams Canino

You got a very good, reliable old outboard. All parts are available through
aftermarket sources.
If it still has the lower 1/2 of the cowling with it - all the better.
I'd clean the fuel system from the gas tank to the carb inclusive before
running it much.
You can mix at 50/1 with TCW-3 but go 40/1 to be safer on one that old.
You might also wanna have the waterpump checked / changed to make sure it's
OK.

Do a search on "John's Old Mercury Board" too. Losta peeps there with that
stuff running daily.

Check out oldmercs.com for parts etc. Grubbs marine.

-W

"77grandprix" wrote in message
m...
Someone recently gave me a Mercury Kiekhaefer outboard motor that is
rated at 7.5 horsepower. It's been sitting about a year but the guy
said that it definitely runs. I don't know much about boat motors at
all and I was wondering if there are any steps I should take before
firing this thing up. All I know is that it needs to be in water!!
From what I have researched, the motor is from the late 40's and it
looks to be in good shape. If someone has any info they think I should
know before attempting to start this motor I would sure like to hear
it. Let me know if you need me to find out anything more about the
motor. Thanks in advance

josh

Clams Canino

As a historical note.

When Big Carl 1st saw the mockup of the cosmetic design for that motor, he
said that "it looks like a Goddamned watermellon on a stick!"

It kinda does.

-W

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
[...]

From what I have researched, the motor is from the late 40's and it