77grandprix

Default Maintenance for Mercury Kiekhaefer Rocket 7.5 H.P. (1940's)

Someone recently gave me a Mercury Kiekhaefer outboard motor that is
rated at 7.5 horsepower. It's been sitting about a year but the guy
said that it definitely runs. I don't know much about boat motors at
all and I was wondering if there are any steps I should take before
firing this thing up. All I know is that it needs to be in water!!
From what I have researched, the motor is from the late 40's and it
looks to be in good shape. If someone has any info they think I should
know before attempting to start this motor I would sure like to hear
it. Let me know if you need me to find out anything more about the
motor. Thanks in advance

josh