rcoleman

Default No spark? Evinrude 48

My otherwise trusty 1991 evinrude SPL 48 decided she didn't want to go the
other day, and luckily I was still in the driveway doing the pre-launch
check. At first I thought it was just some water in the Gas from the 12 hrs
of rain Ophelia had dumped days prior. I was led to this conclusion because
she had started just fine, run for maybe 2 minutes, then died. When she
wouldn't restart, I dumped the gas tank into a bucket, and yep, water
droplets. DAMN. I figured the first minute run was the uncontaminated gas in
the line, and then when the watergas hit....DAMN. So now I get fresh gas,
flush the lines. Nothing. Drain the carbs. Nothing. Pull the plugs..wet. Dry
the plugs, turn the motor to clear the cylinders. NOTHING.
Eat picnic lunch by the pool, try not to cry.
Get up the next morning, go to store and get starter fluid and water
remover. Cross fingers, close eyes and turn key.NOTHING. Note how twin
batteries were really working great...plenty of cranking power. Check kill
switch, looks good. Have a good stiff drink. Have one more. Go back and try
it again. NOTHING. Have another drink.

At this point I'm pretty drunk, really ****ed, and out of daylight and
ideas. I can't think the watergas has anything to do with it anymore, and
I'm rapidly moving out of my range of expertise. Question: before a
breakdown and cut off an arm and leg to pay the qualified guys, is there
anything I've missed? I did pull one of the plugs and try to observe a
spark, but after I sobered up, I realized I hadn't ground it to anything, so
I'll try that again, but at this point I'll bet it won't spark.

Any ideas?? Free beer to the first reader to solve the heartbreak of a
poor boater.

Thanks.