seeray28

Default Am I being a little too anal retentive????

Much to my dismay its getting time to winterize my boat. (2005 Bayliner 175
3.0 alpha) I have a couple of questions that I need advise on.
1 Since it snows and gets cold around here (St louis) I know that I will
have to cover the boat. But should I take the seats out and store them in
the basement . 8 screws and the lounge seats come out. My fear is that a cat
will come along and decide to use them as a scratching post .
2 The battery. My plan is to take it out of the boat and put it on a trickle
charger and a 12volt light bulb. The light bulb will drain the battery and
the trickle charger will charge the battery. I would like to keep the
battery cycling too avoid having to purchase a new one in the spring. Does
this sound like a good plan, if not any suggestions.
3 Draining the water from the engine. I have the center drain hoses on the
manifold and the engine block. Do I need to do anything else besides
disconnecting the hoses to drain the engine all the way. Should I take off
the t-stat cover and pour some antifreeze in there ?
4 Out drive oil, I just recently (5 hours ago) changed the outdrive oil, it
did not show any signs of water in the drive. should I change it again
before the long storage
5 Zerk/grease fittings, I know of two (2) zerks The gimbal bearing and the
coupler zerks, is there a third zerk for the steering . I know that on the
old mid 70's there was a grease fitting on the top of the gimbal ring that
you greased. I cant see one. Is it hidden inside the boat somewhere?
6 Gasoline, since the gas tank is just about empty should I just start the
engine and let it run out of gas or should I put a few gallons in it with
stabile and run the engine for 15 minutes . Either way I was planning on
fogging the engine with oil
Thanks and sorry about the long post
Steve

*JimH*

"seeray28" wrote in message
news
[...]

These should help you out.

http://www.boatfix.com/how/winterize.pdf

http://www.outdrives.com/winterize.html

*JimH*

"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
k.net...
I prefer a full tank of premium gas with stabilizer.

Why premium? Just curious. ;-)

Gene Kearns wrote:

:6 Gasoline, since the gas tank is just about empty should I just start the
:engine and let it run out of gas or should I put a few gallons in it with
:stabile and run the engine for 15 minutes . Either way I was planning on
:fogging the engine with oil
: Draining all of the fuel might be the better solution, but Stabil will
: do the trick, too.

Draining the fuel will cause condensation to occur in the fuel tank. Tis
better to have a full tank when storing.

b.

*JimH*

wrote in message
roups.com...
Gene Kearns wrote:

:6 Gasoline, since the gas tank is just about empty should I just start
the
:engine and let it run out of gas or should I put a few gallons in it
with
:stabile and run the engine for 15 minutes . Either way I was planning on
:fogging the engine with oil
: Draining all of the fuel might be the better solution, but Stabil will
: do the trick, too.

Draining the fuel will cause condensation to occur in the fuel tank. Tis
better to have a full tank when storing.

b.

It really has never been proven that leaving a gas tank less than full over
winter storage causes condensation in the tank.

seeray28 wrote:
[...]

Winterizing a boat on Puget Sound: Open the log book and the tide
tables to December. :-)

*JimH* wrote:

: wrote in message
: roups.com...
: Gene Kearns wrote:
:
: :6 Gasoline, since the gas tank is just about empty should I just start
: the
: :engine and let it run out of gas or should I put a few gallons in it
: with
: :stabile and run the engine for 15 minutes . Either way I was planning on
: :fogging the engine with oil
: : Draining all of the fuel might be the better solution, but Stabil will
: : do the trick, too.
:
: Draining the fuel will cause condensation to occur in the fuel tank. Tis
: better to have a full tank when storing.
:
: b.

: It really has never been proven that leaving a gas tank less than full over
: winter storage causes condensation in the tank.

There's conflicting info on the subject.
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/37.htm

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/winteriz.htm

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_c...fuel_tanks.htm
Bill McKee

wrote in message
oups.com...

seeray28 wrote:
[...]

Winter, the season when the fog is not so bad. At least in San Francisco,

*JimH*

wrote in message
oups.com...
*JimH* wrote:

[...]