Slambram

Default What Spare Parts Do You Carry?

As with most here, I pride myself on being prepared so i'm hoping to
get a lot of good ideas on what spare parts i should be carrying.

For a '99 Crownline 225 with 350 Mag and BIII, i have in the boat

-fuel filter
-serpentine belt
-raw water pump impeller
-spare anchor light bulb

and for the trailer,
-bearings, races, rear seals
-split washers and castellated nut
-hub
-winch strap
-tire (of course)

I'd like to carry spare props, but Mercury $$ are all that's
available. I'd also like to carry some spare hoses and clamps and
will wait on some reposnses on what to get for my engine.

Thanks, -JZ

Greg

Oil
spark plugs
duct tape

Calif Bill

"Slambram" wrote in message
As with most here, I pride myself on being prepared so i'm hoping to
get a lot of good ideas on what spare parts i should be carrying.

For a '99 Crownline 225 with 350 Mag and BIII, i have in the boat

-fuel filter
-serpentine belt
-raw water pump impeller
-spare anchor light bulb

and for the trailer,
-bearings, races, rear seals
-split washers and castellated nut
-hub
-winch strap
-tire (of course)

I'd like to carry spare props, but Mercury $$ are all that's
available. I'd also like to carry some spare hoses and clamps and
will wait on some reposnses on what to get for my engine.

Thanks, -JZ

Oil, are spare sparkplug or 2. I have had them come apart in the boat.
Rust is not your friend. Spare bulbs for the trailer, better to convert to
LED assemblies. A VOM. Corrosion of electrical will stop you at times, so
the Volt meter is very handy. Better than a test light.

Ernie

oil filter
battery pack
propeller
lines
hand pump
oar
anchor
tool kit
chart
first aid kit
flares
flashlight batteries

"Greg" wrote in message
Oil
spark plugs
duct tape

Bowgus

Hammer, vice grips, duct tape ... er ... no, that's for the jeep.

"Greg" wrote in message
Oil
spark plugs
duct tape

Greg

Hammer, vice grips, duct tape ... er ... no, that's for the jeep.

"Greg" wrote in message
Oil
spark plugs
duct tape

Same deal. Oil because there isn't much else that will work and adding some is
easy enough that you can do it on the water. Same for the plugs (you old ones
are fine)
Duct tape everything else.
Mark Browne

"Slambram" wrote in message
As with most here, I pride myself on being prepared so i'm hoping to
get a lot of good ideas on what spare parts i should be carrying.

snip

A (fresh) 4" long log of fuel tank repair epoxy.

You rip off a chunk, knead it and stick it to patch leaks - in hulls after a
small puncture or loose rivet, in low pressure metal fuel lines, in fuel
tanks, whatever. It sets fast and sticks to wet things. You can use it to
stick things together. Great stuff; sort of like duct tape. Bring rubber
gloves too - it sticks to hands and is hard to get off.

Mark Browne

Florida Keyz

CAn of insulating foam, good for filling holes in a hull
FRANKWBELL

In article , Slambram
writes:

As with most here, I pride myself on being prepared so i'm hoping to
get a lot of good ideas on what spare parts i should be carrying.

I have two tool kits. One is just for the boat and contains

hammer
two vice grips (small and large)
channel lock pliers
small adjustable wrench
large adjustable wrench
wire stripper/crimper and crimps
grease gun and grease
inexpensive socket wrench set
misc. stainless steel screws
two each large and small philips and flathead screwdrivers
propellor nut
tie wraps for wire
spare flashlight batteries
string

and probably some other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head

I also carry spare oil
two props (simply because I have two)
extra line

Frank Bell

A. Top Posting.

Greg

inexpensive socket wrench set

I never understood this thinking. Why wouldn't you carry the best tools you
own? Your best chance of actually "doing no harm" is to use good tools. Round
off a bolt in your driveway and it is a minor problem, do that somewhere
offshore and it could be a long swim home.
If you are afraid of dropping them overboard tie a string on them. Cheap
wrenches sink too.